cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to sync dropbox or reinstall

Unable to sync dropbox or reinstall

lflores
Explorer | Level 3

My business dropbox was working and syncing fine. Upon looking for a file, I noticed that it was not showing on my end. Since then, the dropbox app has tried to download all the files onto my MacBook Air. My admin states there was a setting I changed. I checked and nothing has been changed on my end. Now when I uninstall the dropbox app and reinstall it, I don't see any of the shared folders nor am I given an option to have the app sign in as online only.  I don't know what to do.

9 Replies 9

Re: Unable to sync dropbox or reinstall

Hannah
Dropboxer
Thanks for your post, @lflores!

Can you please tell me the sync status and the version of the Dropbox application you have installed on your computer?

You can check that by hovering your mouse over the Dropbox icon in your menu bar.

Also make sure to check the application's preferences, to see if you have the correct Dropbox account linked to the computer.

Let me know what you find!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

lflores
Explorer | Level 3

@Hannah  The Dropbox version is 123.4.4832

I am not to use selective sync. When Installing the desktop app, it does not give me the option to choose online only as our company uses that option. It's only telling me there isn't enough space on my MacBook Air to "sync" all files. When I uncheck all files for selective sync, nothing shows up. Through dropbox.com, I have access to view and edit all files for the business.

Ahmmad
Explorer | Level 4
Please check, is there enough space in your windows drive?

lflores
Explorer | Level 3

@Ahmmad @Hannah When I go to "sync" no, there isn't but i'm not allowed to download the files. I need to view them in finder but have all files/cases be online only view and download only if I have to.

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @lflores, thanks for the update on this!

Can you check the Account tab in your Dropbox application preferences, to make sure you have the correct Dropbox account linked to the computer?

Also, what is the sync status of the application?

And lastly, if you right click on a file in your Dropbox folder, do you see the Smart sync option?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

lflores
Explorer | Level 3

@Hannah The correct email is associated with dropbox.

The only way i can access the dropbox on my MacBook is if I use selective sync and it downloads all the files. I'm not allowed to do that and when I reinstall the dropbox app, it does not give me an option to just view online.

When right clicking, I do not get an option for smart sync. I only have access to 1 folder through Finder. Everything else I need to maneuver through the website.

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @lflores, is Smart Sync enabled on your device? Could you check if it's enabled on the Dropbox site in the Smart Sync update for Mac?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

lflores
Explorer | Level 3

@Hannah No it is not on. Would that alone give me access through finder?

Jay
Dropboxer
If you enable the feature on the site, and also the Dropbox system extensions option, (on the same page as before), then Smart Sync should become available for your machine.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    lflores Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?