cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Undo file system DropBox sync created

Undo file system DropBox sync created

jojonah
Explorer | Level 4

When I started the sync, several layers of folders were created.  I understand that Dropbox created its own folder to save everything and that the desktop that I now see is just the desktop from that new dropbox folder. BUT! All of my school projects no longer function because they were in a repository folder on my desktop (GitHub).  No matter what I do, if I grab the Repository folder I need and drop it back on the desktop, any CLI doesn't recognize that it is there.

How do I undo this mess DropBox created????

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Undo file system DropBox sync created

Rich
Super User II

@jojonah wrote:

When I started the sync, several layers of folders were created.  I understand that Dropbox created its own folder to save everything and that the desktop that I now see is just the desktop from that new dropbox folder.

When you installed Dropbox, you enabled the computer backup feature.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

jojonah
Explorer | Level 4

...and no, the folder does not show up anywhere on the browser version of dropbox.

Rich
Super User II

@jojonah wrote:

When I started the sync, several layers of folders were created.  I understand that Dropbox created its own folder to save everything and that the desktop that I now see is just the desktop from that new dropbox folder.

When you installed Dropbox, you enabled the computer backup feature.

View solution in original post

jojonah
Explorer | Level 4

That sounds correct, but why did I lose access to my real desktop?

jojonah
Explorer | Level 4

Why am I unable to determine what is on my own desktop? This is crazy!!!!!!!

Lori
Dropboxer
Hi @jojonah, let's see what we can find here! 

As @Rich mentioned, you seem to have enabled Computer Backup

You should be able to see key folders, such as “Desktop”, “Documents” and “Downloads” inside your Dropbox folder on your device. 

Have you taken a look there? 

Let me know more.

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

popthescoop
New member | Level 2

crazy is an UNDERSTATEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!! I absolutely hate this thing but I'm afraid to delete it for fear of losing all my pics which I have inadvertently allowed to be added to it. The explanations are verbose and not easily understood and all I can do now is pay them to add memory. A crime if you ask me.

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey there @popthescoop - thanks for joining the discussion here and thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. 

Assuming that you're also having an issue with the computer backup feature, have you tried disabling it as outlined here?

If you need help with a specific step or to clarify something, please let us know. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

popthescoop
New member | Level 2

Thanks but this response doesn't address my issue at all, if you read it, my problem is that if I delete files from dropbox they will be removed from my hard drive as well and I fear that if I delete the app completely, all of my information will be lost forever. How do I delete dropbox without losing files on my hard drive?

jojonah
Explorer | Level 4

Amen to that.  Undoing it is impossible.  I had to reformat my whole computer.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jojonah Explorer | Level 4
    popthescoop New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropboxer
    Lori Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?