cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Unhappy about API v1 being shutdown

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Not sure if we are talking about the same or a different issue but ...

On Sept 28th Dropbox discontinued an older server logon process that had been in use since at least 2013. In doing so they messed up a bunch of 3rd party apps. Over the last few days I have spent way too many hours trying work arounds.

Obviously Dropbox is very useful for moving files, eBooks, etc. from your network to a mobile device. What I have found in the Android world is that older Explorer / File Manager apps almost all do not work. While newer ones do. So it appears that if an app programmer followed Dropbox’s older norms their apps no longer work.

I blame Dropbox. I have seen some indication that they believe they tried to contact the app programmers. But what I have found is they were successful right around 0.0% of the time.

One more fact to add – there are many, many devices running older versions of Android. None of the more recently developed Explorer / File Manager apps work in the older Android versions. And it is unlikely that the app programmers whose apps are broken are going to fix older versions of their apps.

So unless Dropbox reconsiders they will lose a chunk of customers to the multiple competing cloud storage services. Too bad. I was always a big proponent of Dropbox. But I am being force to competing service that still works on my favored ereader device.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Problem with Dropbox servers

Super User II
Super User II

ttoomm wrote:

Different issue, which is why I've split your post off into its own thread.

On Sept 28th Dropbox discontinued an older server logon process that had been in use since at least 2013.

That would be the Dropbox API v1.

I blame Dropbox. I have seen some indication that they believe they tried to contact the app programmers. But what I have found is they were successful right around 0.0% of the time.

Dropbox announced the deprecation of the v1 API on June 28, 2016. It was posted to their website and notifications were sent out to developers. They originally announced that the v1 API would be turned off one year later. That deadline was extended to last month, and they also allowed developers to request individual extensions if they needed more time.

So unless Dropbox reconsiders they will lose a chunk of customers to the multiple competing cloud storage services.

This same argument comes up every time Dropbox (and any other company) discontinues a service that only a small percentage of people are using. Fact is, continuing to support older technologies takes time and resources away from the continued development of the main product. Older technologies cannot be supported forever. In this case, plenty of notice had been given to the application developers. It's up to them to continue supporting their applications; not Dropbox. Dropbox makes the tools available. The app developers need to use them.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Problem with Dropbox servers

Super User II
Super User II

ttoomm wrote:

Different issue, which is why I've split your post off into its own thread.

On Sept 28th Dropbox discontinued an older server logon process that had been in use since at least 2013.

That would be the Dropbox API v1.

Dropbox announced the deprecation of the v1 API on June 28, 2016. It was posted to their website and notifications were sent out to developers. They originally announced that the v1 API would be turned off one year later. That deadline was extended to last month, and they also allowed developers to request individual extensions if they needed more time.

So unless Dropbox reconsiders they will lose a chunk of customers to the multiple competing cloud storage services.

This same argument comes up every time Dropbox (and any other company) discontinues a service that only a small percentage of people are using. Fact is, continuing to support older technologies takes time and resources away from the continued development of the main product. Older technologies cannot be supported forever. In this case, plenty of notice had been given to the application developers. It's up to them to continue supporting their applications; not Dropbox. Dropbox makes the tools available. The app developers need to use them.

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?