cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unwanted Notes Showing Up on PDF Floorplan Files For Mobile Users

Unwanted Notes Showing Up on PDF Floorplan Files For Mobile Users

awoitte
Explorer | Level 3

We have a repository of all floorplans for crew members to be able to view on their iOS devices while in the field. SOME of these PDFs have automatically added the yellow notes icon in the files where useful information (room number/sq. ft.) is shown, making it very hard -if not impossible- to read. This is not shown on all of the files, and is not visible while viewing in a desktop environment.

Image attached to show exactly what is going on.

Is there a way to disable/remove the yellow sticky notes appearing in the floorplans? I don't know if this is phone setting, PDF setting, Dropbox, etc.

Please adviseMech.jpg

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Re: Unwanted Notes Showing Up on PDF Floorplan Files For Mobile Users

Ross_S
Dropboxer

Hi folks, 

We've made a fix to change our behaviour, based on what AutoCAD is now doing.

The fix should land in v100. 

Many thanks for highlighting the issue to us, the Forum feedback here helped us identify and quickly resolve this issue!

View solution in original post

Ross_S
Dropboxer

@Ed is correct! 

We have managed to fix AutoCADs issue, and v100 of the app will contain a behavioural change that will resolve this issue. We expect it to be released in mid June!

Many thanks.

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]

View solution in original post

22 Replies 22

Rich
Super User II
This will be something handled by your phone; not Dropbox. Dropbox uses the viewers that are built-in to your phone's operating system (all files supported by your iPhone preview in the Dropbox app). I'm not aware of any PDF specific settings within iOS.

Your best bet will be to open the files in Adobe's own app or another PDF viewer that may have the ability to disable such features. You can use the Export function in Dropbox to send the file to another application.

tlan
New member | Level 2

I am having the exact same issue with PDF Autocad files. It just started happening today for me. I cant find a way to disable them. What PDF viewer does dropbox use? If I force it to open in the Adobe PDF app it looks fine. 

AndyGli
Helpful | Level 6

Hi, i have exactly the same issue.  This was not showing up previously and now it is.

It has suddenly occurred across 5 iphones, all of which have different ios versions, therefore i would say it is not controlled by the phone but by dropbox settings instead.

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey @tlan & @AndyGli - welcome to the Dropbox Community.

If you are seeing the notes while previewing your PDF files via the mobile app as per @awoitte's screenshot I would suggest to try previewing them via a web browser or even export it to another app like Adobe and view it from there directly.

As @Rich said, our mobile app uses a set of plugins for previewing purposes that are built-in to your phone's OS and a good way to confirm this would be to try previewing the same PDF files on an Android device as this seems to be affecting iOS mobile devices. 

If this it not too much to ask , could you write back with the iOS version(s) you use and make sure you're running the latest app's version (currently 92.3.2)?

I hope this helps in a way and please let me know what you find.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

AndyGli
Helpful | Level 6

Hi.  It only started doing this recently, so something has changed (I assume within the dropbox app).

If I open the file using adobe acrobat reader, then the sticky notes do not show up… but that is an inconvenience because then I am constantly opening up files in 3rd party apps.  As I use these files all day, every day and have thousand of PDF’s on file it is a huge inconvenience.  Its also convenient to open different files types (PDF, Excel, Word etc) all within the dropbox app as all files are located there.

I don’t have an android device to test my account on.

iOS versions are (had to add spaces because it thinks im entering invalid HTML in the post):

• 10 .3.3 (iphone 7 plus)
  • 11 .3.1 (iphone 7 plus & ipad)
  • 9 .3.5 (ipad 3)

Dropbox app version 92.3 (latest version available in the app store)

Until recently it all worked fine and this problem did not occur, so something recently has changed, i assume within dropbox app updates.  is it possible to install a previous iOS version of dropbox to test it?

By the way, not all files have the sticky notes showing.  they seem to be in teh way a particular file is formatted because with 1 designer they show in all the files but with another i dont see any sticky notes.  When viewing on the PC however, the notes are not visible on either file.

Walter
Dropboxer

Thank you for the additional information @AndyGli - I appreciate it. 

To begin with, thanks for your patience working through this with us Andy! From what you have described so far, I understand that you have been dealing with this issue for a while now, and that this has been limiting your workflow.

As I would really like to help resolve this could you let me know if you are using a 3rd party app to edit those files - now or in the past - and if you had added any comments to the affected files at any point in the past?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

removal of "speech bubbles" on drawings

Cowey
New member | Level 2

I use dropbox to view drawings while on site.

I had been using a number of drawings for the past few weeks and could clearly see the information required.

The app updated last week sometime and now the drawings are covered in yellow speech bubbles.

How do i remove these?

AndyGli
Helpful | Level 6

Hi, the issue is only recent.  It started in the last 2 weeks (hence why i suspect it is the result of a recent app update).  Also there seems to be more people experiencing the same issue in recent days.

I am not using any 3rd party apps to change the files.  The files have remained unchanged for over 1 year.  The yellow sticky notes were not visible on the files until a few weeks ago.

No comments have been added to the files in the past.

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for the updates @AndyGli & @Cowey

In this case, I would suggest that you logged a ticket with our Support team including all the relevant information and an example problematic file - one having the previewing issue at hand (with comment bubbles popping up on the preview of the file within our mobile app).

If you have already done so, please provide me with your tickets' ID(s) so I can have a better look into this internally .

Will be awaiting for your response. Thank you! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Ross_S Dropboxer
    Ed Dropboxer
    Walter Dropboxer
    AndyGli Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?