cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade does not work on desktop app

Upgrade does not work on desktop app

nickjongejan
New member | Level 2

Hi, I upgraded my account for 1000 GB of storage space. But when I drag folders to the dropboxfolder on my desktop it says there is not enough space. (there should be plenty) How do i fix this?

Thanks!

14 Replies 14

Re: Upgrade does not work on desktop app

rediaz123
Explorer | Level 3

I have the same problem, and even after re-starting my computer I am still not able to upload the entirety of my files, which in total are about 200GB....much less than the 1TB that I paid for

Rich
Super User II

Are you sure that it's not referring to the space on your local hard drive?

nickjongejan
New member | Level 2

No not sure, do you know how to change that?

rediaz123
Explorer | Level 3

If it were the case, would this mean that even with the 1TB of storage on dropbox it wouldn't be possible to use it if there wasn't enough local disk space?

rediaz123
Explorer | Level 3

I just checked my hard-drive space I have 280GB free. So insufficient harddrive space doesn't seem to be the problem.

Cannot upload files

rediaz123
Explorer | Level 3

Brand new plus account is not allowing me to upload folders online, nor on desktop app.  I have 180GB of info to download in about 1000 different files, and impossible for me to upload one by one.  Desktop app says I don't have sufficient space, however on local diskspace I have 200GB, and online upload give me error message of:Error

Unable to upload Papers: can’t upload folders or empty files -

HELP!

Rich
Super User II

rediaz123 wrote:

If it were the case, would this mean that even with the 1TB of storage on dropbox it wouldn't be possible to use it if there wasn't enough local disk space?

Sort of. The main thing to remember is that Dropbox is not a cloud-based folder/drive. It exists on your computer. Anything you put in it takes up space on your computer. Using Dropbox does not give you additional storage space. Dropbox is a file synchronization service. The entire point behind it is that it syncs any files you store in your local Dropbox folder up to your account online and any other devices linked to your account. You can use Selective Sync to remove the local copy of a folder from your computer to save disk space, but then it is only accessible through the Dropbox website.

I just checked my hard-drive space I have 280GB free. So insufficient harddrive space doesn't seem to be the problem.

Check your Account page to make sure the upgrade was successful, and that you upgrade the correct account.

rediaz123
Explorer | Level 3

My account page shows the update, and as I add things file by file to the online dropbox, it is also updated to my desktop app, so it seem that the two are correctly linked.  😕 I really hope dropbox has a way to upload folders, if not this is completely useless to me unfortunately.

Rich
Super User II
Are you actually getting a message that there's not enough space? If not, what is the error message you're getting? How are you uploading your files? Are you using the Dropbox website or are you placing the files in the Dropbox folder on your computer?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropboxer
    rediaz123 Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?