cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade forgot my logon and ignored my moved dropbox

Upgrade forgot my logon and ignored my moved dropbox

MrBern
Explorer | Level 3

I had moved my dropbox folder to a different location on the same drive.

The latest upgrade apparently forgot who I was and where my folder had been moved to.

Consequently, I was not logged on and my files were not being synced across computers.

There was no indication that that had happened during the upgrade.

I finally noticed that when editing the same file on different computers. They weren't the same.

I check the Dropbox icon in the tool tray, and the computer that had upgraded indicated that it was waiting to be assigned. I opened the app, and it asked me to log on. I did; however, it created a new Dropbox folder in the default location and would not allow me to use the one I already had been using.

The upgrade should have remembered the account that was logged on and the moved folder location.

The upgrade should have notified me that I was no longer logged on to any Dropbox account.

The re-logon should have known where the folder for that account had been move to.

The desktop app should have allowed me to give it the correct folder location.

I now have to manually figure out what files changed where and try to get things back in sync.

I am SO disappointed.

Any ideas on how to prevent this from happening again? (with the next update)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Upgrade forgot my logon and ignored my moved dropbox

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi there, updating the app wouldn’t forget the location of the Dropbox folder or your login details, unless you uninstalled and reinstalled the app completely.

If you do an advanced reinstall, you get an option for advanced settings. From there, you can choose the correct location for the Dropbox folder and it will re-index to ensure the files are synced.

Hope this helps!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi there, updating the app wouldn’t forget the location of the Dropbox folder or your login details, unless you uninstalled and reinstalled the app completely.

If you do an advanced reinstall, you get an option for advanced settings. From there, you can choose the correct location for the Dropbox folder and it will re-index to ensure the files are synced.

Hope this helps!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

MrBern
Explorer | Level 3

From what I recall, I did not uninstall. I was prompted to update, and I clicked on update. I had no reason to uninstall. However, I logged off and logged on again and found the advanced settings and reset to my moved folder location. I did have to manually update a file I had changed on two different computers (that's how I found out they weren't staying in sync).

It would be nice if the dropbox icon would indicate it's not connected. But then again, I don't even see it unless I click on the dropdown to show hidden icons. Ah. I just found how to make it not hidden.

Jay
Dropboxer
Glad to hear you were able to make the app locate the folder.

Regarding the icon, that’s more of a Windows setting to hide unused icons, though it can be changed for certain icons using the steps on their site.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Rich
Super User II

@MrBern wrote:

I was prompted to update, and I clicked on update.

Just to add... the Dropbox update process doesn't, that I'm aware of, prompt you to update. It's an automatic process. The Dropbox client will update itself on its own without user intervention, whenever needed. Dropbox controls this and there are no settings to override it.

MrBern
Explorer | Level 3

Perhaps it was prompting me to upgrade but also had an option to update.

Parto
New member | Level 2

I have had this issue in the past and have it again.

I moved my DB folder to a large HDD so I could keep everything.

An upgrade has Dropbox thinking it can establish itself on my smaller SSD.

Redirect it to the HDD and now it wants to download everything again.

I had no switches or alternatives when upgrading so I posit your UX is responsible.

Good job I've only a little data in Dropbox because if I relied on it I would be more unhappy.

Do you wonder if unreliable upgrades are costing you customers - that and pretty much doubling the price have killed it for me.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?