cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded internal drive, got demand to unlink devices

Upgraded internal drive, got demand to unlink devices

bcradock
New member | Level 2

I have an old free account with 5 devices synced. One of them is a Mac running MacOS 10.11. I upgraded the Mac's internal drive by cloning it to an externally-mounted SSD and then installing the SSD in the Mac. When I re-booted, I got a "login to Dropbox" dialog, and when I logged in, it required that I unlink devices to reduce my count to 3. 

That doesn't make sense, since existing free users should be grandfathered with our current devices, and the devices have not changed.

Are there any workarounds to make Dropbox accept that this device has not changed? One issue might be that the old drive and the new drive have different volume names (e.g., Huey vs Dewey). 

4 Replies 4

Re: Upgraded internal drive, got demand to unlink devices

Mark
Super User II

There are no workarounds I'm afraid and no grandfathering. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

XXPepper
New member | Level 2

(Not Dropbox staff... just a savy user.)
From previous experience, I believe that you are correct that Dropbox sees your reconfigured Mac (with new volume name) as a new device.

If you check online, or on your other linked devices, your Dropbox files will still be safe in the Dropbox cloud. 

Unlink the old version of your Mac, and then complete the sign on and link of the app on the "new" version of your Mac. All of the files will be sync'd on the new drive; A-OK.

Mark
Super User II

@XXPepper .... sadly not in this case they wont as the user initially had 5 devices linked to their account. Unlinking this one takes them to 4 which is still above the new policy limit of 3 for none-paying users. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

XXPepper
New member | Level 2

Ah; OK.

In that case:

1. upgrade your Dropbox service, or
  2. unlink one device, or
  3. use one of the other services (and spread the load).
Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

XXPepper New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?