cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to business account, now cannot sign in or sync

Upgraded to business account, now cannot sign in or sync

ideas77
Explorer | Level 3

Let me start by saying I have used Dropbox on 3-4 devices at a time since the service was new, and have never had an issue of any kind.   Earlier this week I upgraded my basic account to a trial business account.  The following day (or maybe even the same day), my desktop PC stopped syncing.  The dropbox icon in the tray was grayed out, and when I clicked the app it said "updating dropbox account", endlessly.   I was able to see that the app was no longer associated with any account.  I contacted support and they finally recommended that I uninstall dropbox, which is the kind of thing I would have tried myself out of desperation and lack of understanding at what was actually going on. 

I did the uninstall methodically, removing any old leftover registry entries and restarting multiple times as recommended.  I then reinstalled the application, and attempted to sign in.   The app accepted my username and password (which I know to be correct, and have since changed and re-verified).   I was sent a text with a security code (2 step verification ON), but the app hung on accepting the security code and would not proceed further.   I have since turned off 2 step in hopes that that might be the problem, but it seems not to be.   Now when I close and reopen the app to try signing in again, it simply hangs at the previous step, username and password.  This is not a delay...it's a hangup that goes on for hours and never ends.    My firewall is turned off, and I can think of nothing else that could be interfering with the sign-on.  I can sign on and access dropbox in my browser, so there is no security issue that i can identify.   My android phone has the dropbox app and continues to sync normally.   I've read other posts on this forum with identical problems after an "upgrade" to a business account, but no solutions. 

This "upgrade" to a business account has become the biggest downgrade I can imagine, and a total pain in the you-know-what at a time when I REALLY just need my Dropbox to work.   I've bounced countless emails back and forth to support, who reply about once per day with a "solution" that does not solve anything.  

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.  

7 Replies 7

Re: Upgraded to business account, now cannot sign in or sync

Mark
Super User II

You've not said if you've tried this but I'd suggest doing an Advanced reinstall: https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/advanced-reinstall - especially now that 2FA is off. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

ideas77
Explorer | Level 3

I didn't?

Lusil
Dropboxer

Just to ensure, were you able to carry out an advanced reinstall as @Mark suggested?

Let us know! :upside_down:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

ideas77
Explorer | Level 3

Yes, the app is reinstalled, but hangs up on sign in.   I have confirmed that the username and password are correct and disabled 2 step verification to make things simpler, but I still cannot sign in.   To be clear, the sign in never fails per se, but hangs up and will never complete. 

Lusil
Dropboxer
Thanks for your prompt reply here, @ideas77!

Hmm, at this point, due to account-specific and sensitive info required to continue troubleshooting and investigating this matter, I’d recommend moving this discussion to email. 

I was able to locate your ongoing communication with a specialized member of the team, and I’ve made sure to give them a nudge and pass your comments along. Rest assured, they’ll do their best to assist you on this. 

In the mean time, if there’s anything else I could help with, don’t hesitate to give us a shout. Cheers! :nerd:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

katowood
New member | Level 2

I am having the same problem. Was the problem solved? 

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hi there @katowood!

Have you tried to reinstall the desktop app? If so, please remember that syncing your files can take time if you have many or large files. Just because the files have been placed into the Dropbox folder doesn't mean the syncing has completed.

When Dropbox syncs the files it starts with all of the folders, then uploads files from smallest to largest. Please be patient and don’t delete them from the Dropbox folder if the files haven't finished syncing.

If this doesn’t seem to work, could you also ensure if there are any third-party apps that might be blocking/hindering the desktop app to run, like an antivirus? Try temporarily disabling your antivirus or security program or configure your firewall to work with Dropbox and see if that does the trick. 

If you’re still having some trouble with this, please note that I was able to find your ongoing communication via email with a member of my team and I can see that they have replied to you.

Due to account specific info required to troubleshoot for this, I’d kindly recommend continuing with them and for any further inquiries concerning this matter, please don’t hesitate to get back to them via email. Rest assured they will do their best to assist you. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropboxer
    katowood New member | Level 2
    ideas77 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?