cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uploading bandwidth setting on iphone

Uploading bandwidth setting on iphone

Topfrog
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

How do i increase the bandwith used by dropbox to speed up upload speed on an iphone ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

Hey @Topfrog, I am afraid there is no settings to control the bandwidth in the iOS app. Only way to speed up is to connect to a faster wi-fi (or cell) network, and make sure that your iPhone is not in low power mode. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

Hey @Topfrog, I am afraid there is no settings to control the bandwidth in the iOS app. Only way to speed up is to connect to a faster wi-fi (or cell) network, and make sure that your iPhone is not in low power mode. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there, as Elixir said, there isn’t any setting like this on the iOS mobile app.

It’s entirely dependent on your cellular network connection, or WiFi network speeds.

Another possibility, if the camera uploads are slow, is if iCloud library, and optimize storage, is turned on. These slow the upload since it is both uploading to iCloud and Dropbox at the same time, making it much slower.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Topfrog
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Well thanks for the clarification and tip I have closed every app other than Dropbox and I seem to have a small improvment...

GL
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Jay,

"It’s entirely dependent on your cellular network connection, or WiFi network speeds."

This just isn't true.

The same file that uploads in a few minutes on WeTransfer can take a couple of hours from the Dropbox app. Same network, same connection, different result.

Nor is it anything to do with iCloud settings. Even with no iCloud at all, the upload speeds from the app still suck regardless of network.

And why on earth would we need to switch on Location Services just to run uploads in the background?

What is going on? The app side of the product is terrible and has been for years, but we're still paying for subscriptions.

trog
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@GL wrote:

The same file that uploads in a few minutes on WeTransfer can take a couple of hours from the Dropbox app. Same network, same connection, different result.

Nor is it anything to do with iCloud settings. Even with no iCloud at all, the upload speeds from the app still suck regardless of network.

So I have a similar problem - but on Android. I have both Google Photos syncing and Dropbox syncing my camera uploads (although I tend to leave Dropbox syncing switched off).

As I outlined here in an earlier thread, I have had this problem for ages across two different phones, only on my home wifi network. Both Google Photos and Dropbox, when uploading, will thrash my network - they flood the upstream (which is very low on my sadly poor home Internet link, about 1Mbit).

Google Photos thrashes it for a few minutes and then the file is uploaded. Dropbox, however, thrashes it for a few minutes, nothing happens, thrashes it again, over and over. Sometimes the file will upload, but more often than not, it will fail and I'll get a message on the phone saying "tap for more info" (which, when tapped, offers no info).

Per my earlier comments in the other thread, my guess is that Google Photos can detect when the upstream is congested, and slightly scales back on the upload speed (or retries in a more clever manner) until the upload is completed.

Dropbox, however, seems to just retry and timeout over and over. This has the effect of making the uploads seem very very slow (when they work at all) when compared to Google Photos.

I got an email today from Dropbox saying they've fixed some problems with camera uploads, which I was excited about. Updated, tried again - but same problem.

I realise this is probably an edge case problem for people on crappy networks - when I am on almost any other wifi network, the uploads work perfectly. But I'm sure there are plenty of us (dozens!) that are experiencing this.

For me I think the problem would be instantly resolvable if the mobile app had the ability to limit upload speed. I would just set it to 20kbytes/sec - which is what I do on my desktop Dropbox, so my Internet is usable when syncing.

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thank you for your feedback on the matter @trog. As Jay explained, it has to do with your Internet speed. If you need us to further investigate and help with device specific upload issues, please create a ticket with us at: https://www.dropbox.com/support

In the specific case you are describing here, I think the solution is to use your data while you are at home, as currently there is not way to adjust upload bandwidth on mobile. 

I know it is not ideal but hope it helps to some extent. 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Fiona Dropbox Staff
    trog Explorer | Level 4
    GL Helpful | Level 5
    Topfrog Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?