cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Urgent Question Regarding Expired Email Address AND Expired Password

Urgent Question Regarding Expired Email Address AND Expired Password

Shelley L.1
New member | Level 1

I made a stupid mistake by signing up for Dropbox (and later upgraded to Dropbox Pro) using my email address in the PhD program (xxx@xxx.edu). It was great for a few years - but now I graduated and my PhD email address expired. So I got into my account through the desktop application and tried to update my email address. Then it says that my password has also expired (I have always used the desktop application and hadn't needed my password for a million years) so I have to reset my password. But the reset password can only be retrieved through the email account that is not expired! So now I can change neither my email address nor my password! And dropbox now keeps warning me about losing access if I don't reset my password!

I have a lot of important work stuff in dropbox and really needed to reset both the email address and the password. I filed two tickets (for Dropbox Pro) and got no reply (I suspect that the reply went to my expired email address even though I left a more permanent gmail address as well). I wish I could talk to someone in the customer service. Please help!! Thanks!!

9 Replies 9

Re: Urgent Question Regarding Expired Email Address AND Expired Password

Shelley L.1
New member | Level 1

Sorry, noticed a typo - it should be "But the reset password can only be retrieved through the email account that is NOW expired!".

Mark
Super User II

I actually think, from experience, you wont get access to the account back - they've been very strict on this in the past. 

You are probably better off doing what they say. 

-Cancel payments on your current account

-Set up a new one

-Upgrade the new one

-Unlink the old account on your computer. Relink the new one. 

-All it all to resync

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Shelley L.1
New member | Level 1

Mark Mc,

Thanks! I probably have to do that. Here's a question:

How do I sync the new account with the old account quickly? I hope that I don't have to copy and paste everything to my computer and then copy and paste it again to the new account...

Best,

Shelley

Nate_C
Super User

Hi Shelley,

If you have your entire Dropbox downloaded to your computer (meaning no folders are deselected in Selective Sync settings), you can easily copy your Dropbox to another account. Go into the Dropbox app settings and unlink your account, then sign into the new Dropbox account. If your Dropbox folder is in the default location then that's all you have to do, otherwise make sure you point the Dropbox app to your old Dropbox folder when you sign into the new account. After that, it will begin syncing all of your Dropbox folder contents to the new account.

Note that this will require the Dropbox app to upload your entire Dropbox to the new account.

Richard P.
Super User alumni

We have been given new guidance that, if the issue is due to an expired password, contact support at www.dropbox.com/support and they may be able to do something.

Shelley L.1
New member | Level 1

Nathan C and Richard P.,

Thanks! I think I have to start a new account since the dropbox support people never got back to me after several tickets.

Best,

Shelley

pat-d_vas
New member | Level 2
I don't think it's helpful to do this because, being a long time user of "basic account", the many years of increased space WILL BE LOST (for me this is the issue)!!

Mark
Super User II
You may find, however, that this is the official response from Dropbox as well.

Without access to the email address as proof of account ownership Dropbox will very rarely change an account email address.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

pat-d_vas
New member | Level 2
that link doesn't hep at all
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

pat-d_vas New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
    Shelley L.1 New member | Level 1
    Richard P. Super User alumni
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?