cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useless dock icon always open now?

Useless dock icon always open now?

fluffy
Helpful | Level 5

On the Mac version of Dropbox, now when the sync client opens, it also opens up a completely pointless status window that also takes up space on my macOS Dock.  I don't see why this status window can't just be accessed from the usual menubar menu extra, or what the purpose of this thing is.

There's also a "provide feedback" link that goes to an error page, so thanks for that.

Screenshots at https://twitter.com/fluffy/status/829396334499155969

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Re: Useless dock icon always open now?

Mark
Super User II
You can turn off beta's at www.dropbox.com/account and then simply download an older version from www.dropbox.com/install

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

Rich
Super User II

fluffy wrote:

Is there a way to get out of the beta version and back to mainline?

Uninstall and reinstall one of the Stable builds (from the same section Mark linked to).

is there some flag on my account that pushes me onto the beta?

Log in to the website and go to your account settings. Uncheck Include me in early releases if it's checked.

Ross_S
Dropboxer
Thanks for your reports, and we’re sorry for the confusion. We wanted to address some of the questions in this thread:
  • What happened?  We inadvertently rolled out an internal build of the Dropbox client to some of our users this morning. If you have the internal build, you’ll see a jump in the client build number (9xxx). Rest assured, your files will continue to sync normally.
  • What next? We’ve rolled out an initial update that returns users to the public build. We’re working on a second update that will revert the build numbering. Alternatively, you can uninstall your current client and manually reinstall v19.

Ross_S
Dropboxer

Thanks for your reports, and we’re sorry for the confusion. We wanted to address some of the questions in this thread:

What happened? We inadvertently rolled out an internal build of the Dropbox client to some of our users this morning. If you have the internal build, you’ll see a jump in the client build number (9xxx). Rest assured, your files will continue to sync normally.

What next? We’ve rolled out an initial update that returns users to the public build. We’re working on a second update that will revert the build numbering. Alternatively, you can uninstall your current client and manually reinstall v19.

Many thanks.

19 Replies 19

Mark
Super User II
What version of Dropbox is this?

I'm on 20.3.x and not getting this? And to be fair never have either

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

fluffy
Helpful | Level 5

The only version number available to me is 9001.1002.75 so either I'm stuck in an A/B test I didn't opt into or I have somehow ended up with a client from the distant future.

EDIT: Ah, digging around further I found that this is also 21.1.8. So, still a much newer version.

Mark
Super User II
Looks like something has gone wrong somewhere.... have a look over at https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Beta-testers/ct-p/101003000 - me and one of the other SU's were just discussing the odd versioning when you replied

fluffy
Helpful | Level 5

Ah, interesting. Is there a way to get out of the beta version and back to mainline? I don't think I ever requested beta versions ever. Is it just a matter of uninstalling and reinstalling, or is there some flag on my account that pushes me onto the beta?

agg23
Explorer | Level 4

I have the exact same issue. It doesn't seem to be isolated either, as both of my daily driver Macs received the updates at the same time. I am also on v9001.1002.75

fluffy
Helpful | Level 5

Looks like my other Mac is still on 19.4.13, but I also haven't been using it as much lately.

Mark
Super User II
You can turn off beta's at www.dropbox.com/account and then simply download an older version from www.dropbox.com/install

Rich
Super User II

fluffy wrote:

Is there a way to get out of the beta version and back to mainline?

Uninstall and reinstall one of the Stable builds (from the same section Mark linked to).

is there some flag on my account that pushes me onto the beta?

Log in to the website and go to your account settings. Uncheck Include me in early releases if it's checked.

fluffy
Helpful | Level 5

I just checked my account and the "include me in early releases" box was not checked. I think Dropbox Updater had a fart or something.

Anyway, I reinstalled the client from the default "install" link and I seem to be on 19.4.13 on both machines now. So, that's good.

I think someone at Dropbox should probably look into how my laptop ended up installing the beta, since I am positive I never requested betas.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Ross_S Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?