cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: User shell folder relocation mapping

Highlighted

User shell folder relocation mapping

Explorer | Level 4

Hi all,

I would like to create a script, whatever language, which can create me 3 folders (Desktop, Documents, Pictures) in my dropbox folder . 

And then, change the location of the user shell folders to me mapped to those ones.

I have no skills at all but tried to write a bat like this :

@echo off

cd %homepath%\Dropbox (company)
md Documents Pictures Desktop

REG ADD "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /v My Pictures /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "%HOMEPATH%\Dropbox (company)\Pictures" /f

Folder creation is OK but the mapping part does not work and i get an "error syntax" during the process.

When changing folder location manually i get the right value in the registry :

%HOMEPATH%\Dropbox (company)\Pictures

If someone understand my explanations and could give me help, this would be really appreciated

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Hi there, we don’t recommend directly moving your system folders (namely the three you mentioned) into the Dropbox, or by using symlinks or junction points to do the same thing.

This can cause performance issues with the Dropbox desktop application, high CPU and RAM usage, and potentially data loss.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Super User II

Hi @irkone

Totally agree with what @Jay said, but, could you try changing My Pictures to "My Pictures" , so that the " " makes it a single string

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks you for the answers guys

@jay :

What would you recommend then ?

Basically our need is to have those 3 user folders "DropBoxed" . So that user datas will benefit backup, sync, sharing ...

I confess i am a bit lost concerning the best folder architecture to set ... 

@Mark :

You were right , i do not get that "syntax error" message anymore

But i have to figure out the best choice before to script now ....

I really appreciate your help guys, thank you so much.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
There isn’t an official way to do this using the Dropbox desktop application, and symlinks cause issues in general.

However, there might be some third party apps or services that can help with syncing folders that are outside the default Dropbox folder.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?