cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the command line with a flatpak installation

Using the command line with a flatpak installation

Paddy L.
Helpful | Level 7

I'm using Linux Lubuntu 18.40 64-bit

I have a script that checks the Dropbox status before deciding how to proceed. This has always been easy with the command line functions, specifically:

$ dropbox status

I have, for certain reasons, converted from a PPA installation to a flatpak installation. The installation works perfectly, but I haven't been able to work out how to use the command line.

The "status" command gives a simple, but unhelpful, response:

$ flatpak run com.dropbox.Client status
usage: dropbox-app [-h] [--debug]
dropbox-app: error: unrecognized arguments: status

The same is true of any command that I use.

How do I check the current status of Dropbox when using flatpak, or isn't it possible?

Thank you

3 Replies 3

Re: Using the command line with a flatpak installation

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey there @Paddy L., I hope you're doing well today!

If you haven't already, can you try using the commands outlined here to see if that does the trick?

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Paddy L.
Helpful | Level 7

Thanks for the updated list, @Daphne.

As recommended, I downloaded the Python script and placed it in ~/Dropbox. Unfortunately, while that script accepts the commands, whatever command I enter (including the one I want, status), it says that Dropbox isn't running.

$ ./dropbox.py status
Dropbox isn't running!

I don't know Python, but I can see that it needs the contents of ~/.dropbox/dropbox.pid. That file is empty.

Back to square 1, unfortunately.

Paddy L.
Helpful | Level 7

Hello again, @Daphne. I have an update.

I found that if I find the running instance and put its PID into ~/.dropbox/dropbox.pid, then the script works!

Somehow, the part of Dropbox that puts the PID into the file has been removed from the flatpak installation; or, maybe, it's confused as to where to place the file.

Thus, the question now is how to ensure that the correct PID is placed into the file whenever Dropbox starts.

I'm unsure how to do that, but I shall think about it.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?