Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Version History for Password Protected file

Helpful | Level 5

My Issue: Preview of previous version of password protected file only shows the current verion. 

I'm running a Mac Mini, Ver 10.13.6, my Dropbox Icon shows "up to date" as of this post.  My issue is with getting previous versions of password protected files.  I'm working with an Excel File that has password protection.  When I check on my online Dropbox account and go to Version History for the file, I can see the previous versions of the file.  But, when I click to preview one of the previous versions, Dropbox notes that it is a password protected file, with a button to open the file, when clicking it shows 2 options: Open in Excel or Show in Finder.  When I open with Excel it loads the current file version (not the previous version) and the Show in finder option just takes me to the current file in the Dropbox directory on my Desktop Machine.  See Screenshots below.

File Version HistoryFile Version History

Screen when trying to view a previous versionScreen when trying to view a previous version

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Version History for Password Protected file

Helpful | Level 5

Walter,  Thanks for the feedback.  I suspected this since it's the same with MS 365.  The file has sensitive info in it, so I won't be able to remove the password protection.  I suppose I could do my own version provision with a periodic save as and date extension.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @JSteveJ - sorry for the tardy response, how are you today?

What you describe is actually expected as password protecting documents will prevent them from being previewed on the Dropbox website as well as prevent them from being opened in Microsoft Online.

If you want the file to preview or be openable via Microsoft Online you will need to remove the password on the file.

I hope this helps clear things up and please let me know if there's anything else I can assist with. Oh and happy Monday Steve! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Walter,  Thanks for the feedback.  I suspected this since it's the same with MS 365.  The file has sensitive info in it, so I won't be able to remove the password protection.  I suppose I could do my own version provision with a periodic save as and date extension.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Glad you figured this out @JSteveJ - thanks for providing your walk around this problem too!

If you have any more questions or even feedback and suggestions, please let me know. Until then, have a lovely day! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?