cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Version history not working as it used to.

Version history not working as it used to.

taitrt
New member | Level 2

Hi,

I'm a long time dropbox user (since early beta days) and recently my version history has stopped working.  Twice in the past 2 days I've mistakenly saved over a file that I was modifying instead of saving it as a new file.  In the past when I've done this I just restore my old file from dropbox and there's no issue.  The past two times however my version history only has the current file.  I think it might have to do with the fact that I restructured my dropbox folders, since the only other thing on the page is a history of a move.

Here's what I see on my version history page.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Version history not working as it used to.

Rich
Super User II

That's not how it works anymore.

If you make a change to a file, and the previous edit of that file happened more than 30 days ago, then the previous version cannot be recovered. The 30 days extended to one year if you have Extended Version History.

We asked Dropbox about this a while ago when the change occured, and the response we got back was that this is how it has always worked, and how it is intended to work. The help article also reflects this. Scroll down to the Version history period section.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Mark
Super User II
You are right I'm afraid 😞

Version History now only keeps historic files for 30 days. So in your screenshot as the last edit was in Feb and thus over 30 days ago it isnt possible to recover it.

As a work around. Are you using Windows? If so try and right click on the file and choose 'Previous Versions' or similar if its available - you may get it back that way.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Mark
Super User II
Two things to add actually.

Moves now do not effect previous history - a moved file now keeps the previous history unlike in the past.

If you want it back to how it was you can buy 'Extended Version History' as an add on to Plus at www.dropbox.com/plans which keeps all files and histories for 1 year.

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

taitrt
New member | Level 2

I was thinking about that, but actually the last revision was yesterday (when I saved over the file), so it should have retained yesterday's file prior to save, and the file that I saved over it, correct?

Mark
Super User II
No, I dont think you are correct, but, I'm not 100% sure I'm following, so. Lets say I edited a file Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.

The file was a long time one that has been in my Dropbox for over a year.

When I save my file on Sunday that becomes the most recent version and as its the first edit in a year no previous versions are available. When I edit it on Monday and Tuesday as this file is now edited within 30 days those edits are available. So on Wednesday when I look at previous versions I can restore Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. I cannot, however, revert to the original file which I edited Sunday as this is outside of the 30 day window.

taitrt
New member | Level 2

That just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me when thinking about the dropbox service.  Dropbox has all of my current files on their server.  If I had all my computers off and I installed dropbox on a new machine, the dropbox servers would be able to populate my entire dropbox without connecting to another one of my computers.

Lets say I create a file in my dropbox on 8/28/2016 and edit it on 8/29/2016, I wait a whole year to edit it again on 8/28/2017.  If I look at the version history on 8/29/2017 I should see the file that existed on 8/27/2017 and the new revision that was made on 8/28/2017.  I can understand that dropbox doesn't want to keep archived files for more than 30 days, but the file that existed on 8/27/2017 has only been ARCHIVED for 2 days, even though it was CREATED a year ago.

Rich
Super User II

That's not how it works anymore.

If you make a change to a file, and the previous edit of that file happened more than 30 days ago, then the previous version cannot be recovered. The 30 days extended to one year if you have Extended Version History.

We asked Dropbox about this a while ago when the change occured, and the response we got back was that this is how it has always worked, and how it is intended to work. The help article also reflects this. Scroll down to the Version history period section.

taitrt
New member | Level 2

That seems insanely unintuitive based on the service, but it appears to be what they intended.  Huh.

StuartCarter
New member | Level 2

I agree. In my mind it should save the OLD file as well as the new one when you revise (ie. if file A is oversaved by B, file A is less than a year ago and can be recovered).

I've just fallen over this today... I'm glad there's an answer here, but not so glad it isn't the answer I wanted to see! 🙂

Guess I need to be more careful... maybe get the habit (when opening a file to alter and SaveAs...) of hitting "space, backspace, save" to ensure the orignal is preserved somewhere!

Rich
Super User II

StuartCarter wrote:

maybe get the habit (when opening a file to alter and SaveAs...) of hitting "space, backspace, save" to ensure the orignal is preserved somewhere!

Exactly! That would be the best practice to ensure you can recover the file. Just be sure to test it before you start to rely on it.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    StuartCarter New member | Level 2
    taitrt New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?