cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

View .eml files on iPhone

View .eml files on iPhone

Bob E.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

When I travel, I load my travel documents into Dropbox so I can have easy access on my iPhone. Most documents display fine but I am unable to view .eml, (Windows email files), on my iPhone or iPad. I think that I used to be able to view this type of file on IOS devices but no longer. .eml files can be easily viewed on a Windows laptop or Android device. Am I doing something wrong?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Please note that Dropbox no longer claims to support opening *.eml files as per its help section: https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/preview

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

Mariedb
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there!

Thanks for writing in about this. You should be able to view .eml files in your Dropbox account Would you ba able to send through a link of a file that you are not able to view so that I can test this on my side?

Sharing a link to a file or folder from your iOS device can easily be accomplished by selecting the sharing icon swiping left to right while in the file list view. You can access the sharing icon while viewing files.

You can see more details here:

https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/view-only-access

Thanks in advance!

Stephan K.12
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi Marie,

I got the same problem like Bob E. I saved the E-Mail from the Apple Mail program on my Mac in the Dropbox folder and it's impossible to take a look at the Mail on my iPhone. Can you tell me how you solved this?

Kind regards

Stephan

Tom_H
Super User alumni
Go to solution

@Stephan @Bob

I use Klammer to open my mail files. 

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/klammer/id386777877?mt=8 

It is a paid app, so if you don't think .99¢ is worth it, you may wish to look elsewhere. It can also open various Windows email file types according to the app store. I however cannot speak to that as I have not used it for that purpose.

It has some lower reviews as of late, on the app store, but I personally have no issue opening mail files with it from Dropbox. Some of the reviews say it only supports open via url. Yes you will see that if working directly within Klammer. The trick is to start in Dropbox first. 

To open them, locate the email in the Dropbox app.

Try to open it, it will fail.

Tap the sharing sheet icon. 

Tap open in other app icon.

Tap copy to Klammer

Klammer opens with the email displayed. 

If you wish to remove that email from Klammer, tap documents, top left corner, tap inbox, tap edit, select the message, tap delete selected.  * I often remove them from Klammer as it has no security settings of it own and I don't want emails just sitting it its inbox with no protection. 

I am in no way affiliated with the developer, just a user like yourself whom grew tired of not being able to open mail files on my iOS device.

Best of luck,

Tom

ps. It has a Mac counter part in the Mac App Store if you also need to open Windows mail files from there. I have never used the Mac version. 

pps. There may be other's out there but Klammer has never let me down and it does what I need.

Stephan K.12
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hey Tom,

thanks for your reply but I find it very circumstantial to view a common file format this way.

So, for the developers: Please integrate this function into the dropbox app!!!!

Thank you very much and kind regards

Stephan

Mariedb
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there! 

Thanks for the feature request, I'll definitely pass this on to our team.

Apologies for the confusion in my message above. You can save .eml files to your Dropbox and then open it in a third party app. 

Thanks for all the useful tips everyone! 

Adrian L.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Much the same request Marie. .eml files from Altavista (iPad/iPhone) move into the specified Dropbox directory OK but it would be so good to read them natively. Huge on the wish list!

Con C.1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Much like Adrian L. A BIG BIG WISH LIST PLEASE.

Adrian L.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Should've said AltaMail (not Altavista) but the wish remains the same. Thanks for making it happen - when it does!

Con C.1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Adrian L, it seems to me that Klammer can do, that which Dropbox cannot. Obvious choice " talk to Klammer. PS I've no association. Just wish this one was sorted.

Still my BIG, BIG wish list.

Still a maybe.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Oliver R.4 New member | Level 1
    Tom H. Super User
    Mark Super User II
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?