cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

View .eml files on iPhone

View .eml files on iPhone

Bob E.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

When I travel, I load my travel documents into Dropbox so I can have easy access on my iPhone. Most documents display fine but I am unable to view .eml, (Windows email files), on my iPhone or iPad. I think that I used to be able to view this type of file on IOS devices but no longer. .eml files can be easily viewed on a Windows laptop or Android device. Am I doing something wrong?

19 Replies 19

andrea m.24
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hallo. More than one year went by since last comment on this topic. I'm experiencing the same issue.

I save email message from Mail to dropbox using an iMac. I'm then able to locate the files through my iPhone or iPad, but they are not accessible, I can't open them, no way.

This is not normal, as Mail IS a native Apple application, and 2.eml" is a native Apple format.

What is it, is it a bug or  is it me, or my version of Dropbox?

Thanks, please let me know.

Eddy H.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hello all, same problem here (still). Should be working without third partyprogs. Also rtf-files won't open.

grtz

Roger S.28
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I am also having the same issue as the O.P saving windows emails but unable to open them  and in view of other people having the same issue surprised that the Dropbox team have not resolved this yet.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Please note that Dropbox no longer claims to support opening *.eml files as per its help section: https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/preview

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

no longer claims

Did it ever? As far as I know, a third-party app has always been required.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

I based the post on the fact Marie didnt mention the need for any third party app - I, however, always thought you did. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Tom H.
Super User
Go to solution

I have always had to use a 3rd party app. * Note it has been some time since my need to open one. 

Oliver R.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

We use Dropbox as company working on Macs and this issue is a major headache. As we save all project related files in a special "tree" on DB we are forced to save them as rtf and all attachments such as pdf, jpg etc. separately. This means lot of work time is used to work around such a "simple problem". I think it is kind of arrogant from DB not to solve this problem. We will check when do the next research (end of the year) and if we find another provide we will definitely go away from Dropbox.

Nasha
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

When the dropbox presents itself as the best online archive, even for MAC users, then Dropbox has to find a solution to this serious failure.
- So I save a file and then I do not see?
- It can not be!

nextbeat
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Dropbox team: I need to view .eml files created by apple mail in dropbox on my iPhone. Please make filetype support high priority!!!!

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Oliver R.4 New member | Level 1
    Tom H. Super User
    Mark Super User II
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?