cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIN 10 File Explorer / How to show both Business and Personal Dropbox Plus Accounts

WIN 10 File Explorer / How to show both Business and Personal Dropbox Plus Accounts

Bob38
Explorer | Level 4

Hello - 
A similiar question on the boards is https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installation-and-desktop-app/I-can-t-see-the-other-account-connected...

however it doesn't match my question exactly. 

I have had a Dropbox Plus account I use for my consulting business and personal. It has been very useful. For efficiency it is essential that I see these Dropbox Plus files in File Explorer rather than go to the browser.  

I have now joined a team on a Business Dropbox that a client set up. Multiple consultants interface as a team.  Of course my team account uses a unique email. (took me a bit to figure that out) Going to the browser to download files is awkward and I would like the effeciency of seeing those team files in File Explorer. 

So, I can login to both accounts on a browser window.  I can see the files but moving files back and forth on the web browser is awk.  How do I get the team account to also show up in File Explorer on my desktop? 

thank you, 

Bob 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: WIN 10 File Explorer / How to show both Business and Personal Dropbox Plus Accounts

gregoc
Experienced Collaborator | Level 13
Bob, you will need to link your personal (Plus) account and Business account on your computer, setup sort of like it is on dropbox.com. In the Preferences/Settings, you will need to link/login both accounts. Mid-page of this support article gives details:

https://www.dropbox.com/guide/business/set-up/connect-your-dropboxes

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Re: WIN 10 File Explorer / How to show both Business and Personal Dropbox Plus Accounts

gregoc
Bob, you will need to link your personal (Plus) account and Business account on your computer, setup sort of like it is on dropbox.com. In the Preferences/Settings, you will need to link/login both accounts. Mid-page of this support article gives details:

https://www.dropbox.com/guide/business/set-up/connect-your-dropboxes

View solution in original post

Bob38
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks Greg - 

I'll give that a look.  Saw a merge function someplace and dind't like the sounds of that.  I'll check out connect.  

thanks,

Bob 

gregoc
Gotcha. This definitely does not merge anything. In Explorer you will have “Dropbox - Personal” and “Dropbox - Team Name” as two separate locations. Works really well.

Bob38
Explorer | Level 4

Greg - 

Thanks again, after actually following the instructions (I shouldn't make things so hard) I can sign in on Chrome browser and toggle in the lower left hand corner between Personal and Work Dropbox (dropdown name).  So progress. 

Went to Follow the instructions starting "If you've an existing Dropbox user, you'll need to sign into..." and then (1) Click on the Dropbox icon in the menu bar or system tray. (2) Click on the gear icon and .... 

Did confirm Dropbox's definition of system tray in Windows 10:

https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/system-tray-menu-bar

But no Gear Icon appears.  

Perhaps WIN10 / File Explorer is an issue?  Found this on the boards for a problem accesing the gear icon / peferences/ account 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installation-and-desktop-app/Can-t-access-system-tray-preferences-me...

Not sure about the accepted solution of CTRL Left Click to access the legacy menus.... I find that all I'm doing is launching File Explorer whatever I do.  

My Dropbox desktop version is 70.4.93   

The goal at this stage is to Link .... not sure where I've gone off into the weeds....

Have not reinstalled dropbox on the Win10 PC. 

so close yet so far....

Bob 

Mark
Super User II

Hi @Bob38 

I think on the newer versions of Dropbox (I'm on 71.3.x so cant see exactly what you have) you need to click on the little person at the very right of the new popup menu to access that screen now. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Bob38
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks Mark - 

I'm not following you (my bad).   Could you include a screen shot of this popup? 

I'm running Win 10.  All that happens when I click on Dropbox on the menu tray is that it launches File Explorer AND my Personal Dropbox shows up (as it shoud and as it has for many months) .  Was hoping to Link my Personal to the Team (Work) Dropbox I was invited to.  What I understood from Greg was that I would see my Personal and the Team Dropbox in the File Explorer.   That has been my goal. 

That part I'm missing still is getting to the gear.... Sigh.  

Later today I'll install 71.3.x.  And the old reboot. 

thanks for your help, 

Bob 

Mark
Super User II

I'm on a Mac so it will be similar but not identical.... this is what I see:

Screenshot 2019-04-06 at 20.28.03.png

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Bob38
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for posting Mark.   I think I will uninstall / reinstall Dropbox and see if that changes anything.   

Greg - thanks also!  Probably pilot error (mine) 

Bob38
Explorer | Level 4

Greg - 

Thanks for the help.  Got stuck on the "Gear" step which seems to be unavailable in Win 10 / File Explorer. Or at least to me.  To finish the "LINK" so that Win 10 File Explorer could show both the Personal and Work Dropbox accounts I went and uninstalled Dropbox on the PC , rebooted and retinstalled Dropbox on the PC. Then during the connection phase, I connected the WORK (UID and PW) and then it asked to connect the Personal (UID, PW and authentication) and "bingo" , it all worked as advertised.  File Explorer shows  WORK DROPBOX (where WORK is the name of the company) and DROPBOX (Personal).   Neat.  Lot of "WORK". Ha!

thanks for your help getting going in the correct direction (Link vs. merge) 

Bob 

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

gregoc Experienced Collaborator | Level 13
    Bob38 Explorer | Level 4
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?