cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to relink dropbox in Windows, but account linking gives conflicting state

Want to relink dropbox in Windows, but account linking gives conflicting state

Ward H.
Explorer | Level 3

I want to re-link a private dropbox account on Windows 10 PC. However, the option to do so in the Preferences does not allow me to.

The app's Preferences > Account > Account linking part says "This computer isn't linked to an account" but the button to link it next to it says "Unlink This Dropbox...". To me, this is conflicting.

How to link without complete reinstall of dropbox?

I had previously (a couple of days ago) unlinked this computer remotely via the web interface, but I want to revert that decision, and relink it again. I have unlinked another device already to meet the 3 linked devices quota.

2020-06-04 15_13_17-Window.png

My app version is v98.4.158

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Want to relink dropbox in Windows, but account linking gives conflicting state

Jay
Dropboxer

If you don't have admin rights, am I correct in assuming this is a work device?

If this is the case, then perhaps there is a possibility that a proxy, VPN, firewall, security software, or even ISP/router issues that could be restricting traffic to the following Dropbox domains.

If you have an IT admin, could you check this info with them to ensure that the domains are whilelisted and permitted to access normally?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Re: Want to relink dropbox in Windows, but account linking gives conflicting state

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @Ward H., thanks for posting on the Community!

From the screenshot, it looks like the ‘unlink this account’ button is greyed out, meaning it’s inactive so you won’t be able to click it. If it was connected, then the button would be similar to the ‘OK’ button which should be at the bottom of the prompt.

To connect an account, try clicking the Dropbox app icon in the system tray, and then ‘Connect account’. If you don't see this option, could you forward a screenshot showing what you're seeing? 

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Ward H.
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Jay 

Thanks for your answer and time.

I couldn't find the 'Connect account' , but there is a 'Sign in' action.

However, clicking it results in a big white dialog box stating 'Something went wrong'.

Even after restarting my PC, result is the same.

So, what concerns me, no clue there.

dropbox_signin.png

Jay
Dropboxer

If you're not on a Dropbox Basic plan with more than 3 devices connected, could you try an advanced reinstall of the app using the steps in this link to see if it helps with this situation?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Ward H.
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay,

What I did: I followed the advanved reinstall steps, including deleting the Dropbox folders in the 4 mentioned system maps and restarting. I even did the procedure twice.

Strange enough, when installing Dropbox, I did NOT get any question or dialog box with options (e.g. to specify the location of the Dropbox). I would have expected this, since I cleared the appdata folders.

Result: The install was completed as is, but the issue remains as before, i.e. sign is doesn't work, and conflicting account linking text and button.

(I am on Basic Dropbox plan, with with currently 2 devices connecting, and trying to connect a 3rd one. I am also doing this on a computer where I don't have admin rights)

Jay
Dropboxer

If you don't have admin rights, am I correct in assuming this is a work device?

If this is the case, then perhaps there is a possibility that a proxy, VPN, firewall, security software, or even ISP/router issues that could be restricting traffic to the following Dropbox domains.

If you have an IT admin, could you check this info with them to ensure that the domains are whilelisted and permitted to access normally?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Ward H.
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay,

Indeed, correctly infered, this is a work device.

I will check if any domains are blocked. But I am pretty sure they are not, since it has been working before, and since I am working from home (not the corporate network, disabling the work proxy etc) and I never had problems with ports/domains being blocked on my home network. 

Ward

Jay
Dropboxer

I understand, @Ward H., let me know if when you have any update on this matter!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Ward H.
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay,

I got it working with (strange enough) temporarily modifying the Proxy Setting.

My dropbox setting always worked (at my home network) with the Proxy Setting set to "No Proxy". So I assumed this should have worked now too, but it didn't. I modified the setting to a Manual Proxy server (the one from my work) and turning on my work VPN. I was then able to link sign in (I got a browser page to ask whether to link dropbox to this computer).

Once linked, I turned off the VPN and set the Proxy Setting back to "No Proxy, and it remained working. Weird. 

Thanks for your persistent help!

Jay
Dropboxer

I'm happy to hear that we've narrowed down what caused this connection issue, @Ward H.!

Enjoy your week!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropboxer
    waynemeadows1 New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropboxer
    Ward H. Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?