cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Weird 'garbage' files in dropbox.cache?

Weird 'garbage' files in dropbox.cache?

Kate J.3
New member | Level 1

I just got a notification that my Dropbox was nearing its space limit, which usually means it's time to clear the cache. I did, but it was full of files with long, random-looking filenames -- & they keep appearing even as I delete them.

What's going on here, & how do I make it stop? WEIRD

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard P.
Super User alumni

The Dropbox cache folder does not count against your quota, so clearing the cache wont do anything- you really shouldnt be messing around in that folder, Dropbox is using that folder for its own stuff, hence the random file names (they are file parts that Dropbox uses to sync, related to the files in your Dropbox folder).

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Kate J.3
New member | Level 1

I've changed my password, & uninstalled & reinstalled the desktop app (I run Linux Mint), & it's still happening. I've turned off syncing for a while, in the hopes that whatever's going on, it won't be able to mess up my local files, at least.

Richard P.
Super User alumni

The Dropbox cache folder does not count against your quota, so clearing the cache wont do anything- you really shouldnt be messing around in that folder, Dropbox is using that folder for its own stuff, hence the random file names (they are file parts that Dropbox uses to sync, related to the files in your Dropbox folder).

View solution in original post

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Need more support?