cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird situation with desktop app uninstalling and startup

Weird situation with desktop app uninstalling and startup

MightyNora
Explorer | Level 3

I am in a need of a help, and I need someone to help me with this weird situation... and after a little bit of reading this community I found out that it is not so weird at all, but I didn't found out any good suggestions how to solve this...

I am just regualr user of DB (for last I dont know how many years). Today I noticed that DB is not starting when I start my desktop. Then when I tried to start it manually it didn't work. If I try to uninstall it stops halfway and says that there is an error and it couldn't uninstall. If I try to override and reinstall, it says it is not possible (error 2).

It doesn't start. Can't uninstall. Can't reinstall. Any suggestions? Thank you very much

MightyNora

7 Replies 7

Re: Weird situation

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey @MightyNora, thanks for reaching out to us. 

From the sounds of it, you've had a look through this thread regarding the error 2 on Windows OS, is that right?

Also, could you let me know what error message pops up when you try to uninstall the desktop app?

If you could send me a screenshot of it, that would be super helpful. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

MightyNora
Explorer | Level 3

DB1.jpgDB2.jpg

Is this what you were asking for? I have downloaded the DB from the link that you have mentioned, but I still cant uninstall the previous version... So I am waiting for your suggestions...

Thank you in advance, MightyNora

Lusil
Dropboxer
Could you try an advanced reinstall in case that does the trick to at least uninstall the desktop app?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

MightyNora
Explorer | Level 3

I can't even uninstall it from my desktop at all. The screenshot that you se in my previous reply is what happens when I try to uninstall it - it just stops there and don't move at all... So, I can't get past that to go on and try the other steps in advanced uninstall procedure... I haven't still tried to install DB 77.3.127 waiting to see if you would recommend that. So if that is the only thing to do, I can try to install it... 

What do you think?

Thank you in advance

Lusil
Dropboxer
You could definitely give the beta version of the desktop app a try!

In the meantime, you could also have a look at Jane's advice, in case this helps. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

MightyNora
Explorer | Level 3

Just to clarify - It doesn't really matter if I can't uninstall the previous version of DB from my computer, buit if I can install (or repair) by the instructions from the link you just sent (Jane's instructions), that is what I should try, right? If that doesn't help, am I alowed to submit ticket?

Best regards, Mighty

Daphne
Dropboxer
If you can try and repair the app by reinstalling, that could indeed do the trick, so it's worth trying that first @MightyNora.

Should the steps outlined in Jane's post not resolve the issue for you, there are a few other things we can try such as using the offline installer.

For submitting a ticket, you can have a look at the Support options available depending on your plan from here.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropboxer
    MightyNora Explorer | Level 3
    Lusil Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?