cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: changes for samsung users

What do the changes for Samsung users mean?

beckers1974
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi! Just read the info on the changes taking effect in April, and wondering what this means for me getting images etc from my Samsung devices to my dropbox account. Will I still be able to upload via the app, or do I have to transfer to my laptop first and send from there?

19 Replies 19

PropertyVine
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
This serves me no purpose. I use Dropbox for 4 companies on the go. When replying to emails I need to be able to attach documents and send. If Dropbox don't work with Samsung to fix this then I will stop paying for my Dropbox services and move to One Drive.

PropertyVine
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Im furious, i pay also and I'm running fast paced businesses. I need to press 'reply' to emails and attach a document. But now it's impossible.
I will have to change to One Drive unless anyone knows of a better alternative?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
You need to contact Samsung then. It was Samsung that built that functionality into their own apps. It was Samsung that failed to update their applications to use the new Dropbox API (and they had over a year to do so).

This is not a Dropbox issue and Dropbox has no control over how Samsung chooses to integrate the service into their own products.

Craig M.21
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Dropbox on Samsung looks broken to me. I can't get to my Documents folder in the file system through the Dropbox app, and I can't get to Dropbox through the MyFiles app, so work I do offline can't be easily synched with Dropbox.

Right now it looks like I'll have to move to Google Drive.

George J.1
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution
I just switched to note9 and yesIyes I am unhappy with the change. Why did Samsung go back to older API, I wonder?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

They didn't go back to the older API. They simply never updated their apps to use the new API. When the old API was retired, they could no longer integrate with Dropbox without updating their apps to using the new API.

George J.1
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution
Ok, I'm not a programmer just an everyday user trying to use today's technology. I waited this long to change devices because it is my habit to give new hardware time to be in the real world. Just so things like this could be ironed out. It makes no since that Samsung would refuse to adopt the new code just to spite Dropbox. It is part of the tech world that things change, almost daily in fact. I realize that Samsung and Google are somewhat strategic partners (Google is Android but lots of manufacturers use Android it's primarily open source) but why would Samsung make sure that Google Drive be accessible as an account yet slight Dropbox and Amazon? Is it an attempt to force users to Samsung Cloud? Why on earth would a user do that instead of just upping my Google Drive storage capacity? And, why doesn't Dropbox do what they need to do to get Samsung to restore the functionality?
I know you're not a Dropbox employee so yo can't really answer the question and I don't want to put you in the position of defending Dropbox.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@George J.1 wrote:
And, why doesn't Dropbox do what they need to do to get Samsung to restore the functionality?

They already did. They made the API available to anyone that wants to use it. They can't force Samsung to use it. As to why Samsung doesn't support Dropbox anymore... you'd have to ask them.

George J.1
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution
Again, you don't work for Dropbox so I'm not really asking you. It was entirely rhetorical to you. It was just in case Dropbox is monitoring the Community I'd like their reply as to why them and Samsung for the sake of their users can't play nice together. And, apparently you don't understand business because I'm sure Dropbox and Samsung have had some discussion on some level about this. Besides, if can't Dropbox to respond do you really think Samsung will?
Another point is Dropbox just announced a price increase. If I can't fully use it on the platforms I am on I'm not sure it's worth it.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@George J.1 wrote:
Again, you don't work for Dropbox so I'm not really asking you.

Then you need to contact Support and ask them directly as this is primarily a user-to-user platform. The Dropboxers that do respond here are generally not part of the product teams and wouldn't have such answers.

Need more support?