cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does "Dropbox is lonely" email message mean?

What does "Dropbox is lonely" email message mean?

washmctreasurer
Explorer | Level 3

I'm just starting with Dropbox and it's very confusing.  I thought I had Dropbox setup properly, but then I got an email message that said "Your Dropbox is lonely - Add some files" .  When I look at my Dropbox Folder, it contains a folder called "My PC" with the name of the folder where my data is stored.  When I click through to my data folders, they all have the little green check mark indicating that these files ARE being backed up by Dropbox.  So it seems to me that my data file IS being backed up.   So what does the "Your Dropbox is lonely - Add some files" message mean?  

7 Replies 7

Re: What does "Dropbox is lonely" email message mean?

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @washmctreasurer; welcome to our Community and thanks for using Dropbox!

This seems like a folder that's being backed up to your account through our computer backup feature and not through the regular syncing process so I'm assuming that the email refers to uploading files to your account using the normal way to sync your files: 

https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/share/add-files

I hope this helps to some extent and please let me know if you have any more questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

washmctreasurer
Explorer | Level 3

Walter,  

Thank you for your response.  I read the links for "computer backup feature" and "synching process". 

Please respond to the following questions:  

1.  My current understanding is that my folder/files that are actually in the Dropbox folder are backed up to the Dropbox cloud, AND folders/files that are linked via the "computer backup feature" are ALSO backed up to the Dropbox cloud.  Is that correct?  

2.  Folders/files that are in my Dropbox folder CAN be shared with other PC's and users.  Is that correct?  

3.  Folders/files that are backed up using the "computer backup feature" canNOT be shared with other users.  Is that correct?  

4.  Are there any other differences between the "computer backup feature" and the "synching process" ?  

Thanks for any further clarification.   

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @washmctreasurer, thanks for getting back to us. 

Syncing and computer backup are two separate features available. More specifically:

• Syncing makes sure to keep your files up-to-date across the website and any other device that has the desktop app and mobile app installed.
  • Computer backup, once enabled, automatically adds selected computer folders such as Desktop, Documents and Downloads, into your Dropbox folder. 

You are right though, files and folders that are placed into your Dropbox folder are uploaded to your account when the desktop app is running. This includes any folders that are backed up using our computer backup feature.

You can share your files saved in your Dropbox account either as shared folders/files or using shared links

I hope this helps, but let us know if you have any other questions. Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

washmctreasurer
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for your response. I’m still not sure I understand completely. Here are some additional questions: Please respond to these questions directly if you can:
1. After further experimentation, it now seems to me that folders/files saved to Dropbox CAN be shared with other users regardless of whether they were saved with the “computer backup feature” or the “synching process.” Is that correct? Please respond directly to this question if possible.
2. What are the differences between the “computer backup feature” and the “synching process”? I don’t see much difference.
3. Can I get a full transcript of this conversation on email so that I can study your responses more carefully? If so, how do I do that?
Thanks for any further clarification.

Casper777
Collaborator | Level 10

Hi 

As per your question on the transcript request, just click on the 3 dots on the right hand side next to the last post and choose "Email to a friend". The "friend" in this case will be you. Then you can study the content as per your requirements. 

Regards

Casper

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey there @washmctreasurer, just jumping in here!

For your first question, any content added to your Dropbox account can be shared as you can see from your own investigation there.

For your second question, perhaps I can offer another way to describe the difference, building on what Lusil already mentioned. If you'd like some more info, you can also check out the links that Lusil added to their previous post too.

Syncing refers to keeping your Dropbox account in sync across all platforms. This would be the website, your desktop app and mobile app (if you have it installed). Basically, the syncing process keeps the files in your account up to date with any changes or additions you make.

The backup feature allows you to select specific folders on your computer (Desktop/Downloads/Documents) and add them to Dropbox. Any files added to the folders you choose to backup will be added to your Dropbox folder on your computer so that they can sync with your account.

Finally, I believe @Casper777 covered your last question perfectly. Thanks for your input there Casper!

Keep us posted with any other questions!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Casper777
Collaborator | Level 10

You are welcome Daphne. 

Regards

Casper

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?