cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: What does 'refresh to update' on my offline files mean? How can I do it?

What does 'refresh to update' on my offline files mean? How can I do it?

JuanHerrero
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have a number of folders set as "Make available offline" on my iPad. Generally this works fine, but sometimes I get the yellow exclamation mark icon and "Refresh to update".  Can someone please tell me what "Refresh to update" means - there is no refresh button and no refresh option in the menu. What am I supposed to do??? 

61 Replies 61

Pan054
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Don’t think anyone is listening anymore and the local files situation is only getting worse with the constant download of unchanged files.  

I'm now testing OneDrive and so far the local copies seem to work as expected, but it is ealy days yet. The upload is as slow, if not slower, than DB (yes, that IS possible). I haven't tested synching or customer support, but I'll keep this forum informed of my findings.

If OD works as expected, I'll exercise the only right that seems to be left to DB customers: walk.

itsmaku
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This unnecessary "feature" is bugging me for months, and its never ever works! Wherever I pull refresh, files are still with yellow icon. Im not even sure what I'm paying for 😕

Maybe DropBox should focus on file sync (a.k.a. why people use it ) and not becoming cloud-based-evernote-basecamp-whatever-tool. 

Pan054
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I couldn’t agree more, Itsmaku.  DB seems to direct more resources to developing sales gadgets than to keeping their core functions running.  
BTW, don't be fooled by the 'Resolved' button, the refresh only seems to try to download all files again (may take hours or days), just to end up with many 'yellow !' icons and 'blue chasing-arrow' icons again.  It is just broken, and that is all there is to it. I can't see DB giving this any priority, or they would have done so by now, imo.

David F.83
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This does not solve the problem.  Working you way through a large number of sub folders and opening each one is a ridiculous method of keeping offline files current.  I was embarrassed and frustrated during a sales presentation when files that I had saved offline were completely unavailable.  This should be fixed, but my understanding from these forums is that it's being ignored.

Pan054
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Yes, many have the same problem.

I'm now halfway through testing to see if OneDrive is a viable alternative.  So far it seems to work well, especially the local files.

If all is ok, I'll switch as DB is not working for me anymore.

Pan054
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Well, Dropbox local files are still not working proply on my iPad, so after almost a year I say goodbye to DropBox and moved to OneDrive. Reasons:

1: Onedrive is as slow as DropBox in uploading, but does properly deal with local files on iPad (etc.). 

2: Dropbox is now twice the price.  It gives you twice the storage, but as uploading is so terribly slow, it would probably take months to upload to that extra space.  More importantly, I don't need all that space.

3: DropBox support has proven to be preactically absent.  They seem to develop gadgets for their sales team, but do not keep core functionality working on their platforms.

sma80
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I agree, I'm moving off Dropbox when my prepaid year expires, this is unacceptable.  I already know Amazon's and iCloud is terrible for sharing your files on different OS's, so I'll try onedrive.

Pan054
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I've now moved away from DB for a couple of months.  Nothing is perfect, but OD is doing quite a good job, and it does all I need when managing offline files without any problems.  Go luck with the move, sma80. 

Peachey
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
I think it’s funny how this thread has now turned into a combination of a “Dropbox sucks support group” and a review of other cloud based storage options.

Hello Dropbox?! Are you even there?!

I’m sad. I used to be Dropbox’s biggest fan. My wife had the Pikachu face when I told her I was switching.

Well, with my plan coming up for renewal in a couple of weeks, I’ve now made the switch to Google Drive. Doesn’t have these ongoing sync issues...

...and I’m sure their Big Brother approach to monitoring will mean that they wouldn’t be as oblivious to the conversations that are happening about their products on their own forums!

Still going to keep my notifications to this thread on out of amusement

*starts eating popcorn*

dret
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
terrible UI/UX, folks! this would be soooooo easy to improve.
Need more support?