cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox (Old) Folder

What is the Dropbox (Old) folder on my computer?

Adrienne W.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

There is a folder in my finder on the left that says Dropbox (old) - I think it is left over from an upgrade sometime ago. I have a new dropbox folder with the dropbox icon that I have been using and it is the most up to date. So I thought I would do a quick comparison and delete files from the (Old) dropbox but it tells me they cannot be deleted. Am I keeping 2 copies of this data (on my laptop I am trying to clean up)? Can I just delete the Dropbox (Old) without losing data? If so how?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

becnolan
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Just want to confirm to anyone wondering that yes, it is safe to delete. The files won't be deleted from any old linked dropbox accounts, only your computer. I tested it myself (after copying all the folders, just in case). Go ahead and delete!

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

James B.105
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have the same thing, only I am unsure if it is safe to delete. I had logged into my work Dropbox and during it's sync I realised it was a mistake. Logged into Dropbox with my home account and it synced my stuff but now I have a Dropbox (Old) folder which I want to delete but has important files in it. Does this delete it from dropbox complete (Meaning me and everyone else sharing loses it). Or is it safe?

dandiprima
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same problem here. Does anyone have an answer for this? Are these folders OK just copies of data and are they OK to delete? or are they still linked to other people's accounts and/or the "new" copies of those folders?

Hobe717
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same problem as well.  I'm searching for a resolution and ended up here.  ??

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey guys, 

This folder is created when you unlink/link to a different account on your computer, or if you re-install and don’t choose a different location for your Dropbox folder. 

Here’s an article that discusses this in more detail https://www.dropbox.com/help/25 

I hope this helps! 
Thanks

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Hobe717
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Thanks. Mine was a reinstall after Windows crashed.

laurakayec
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Sanchez!

I'm wondering the same thing as these folks -- is it safe to delete the folder w/ the name ending in (old)? I would assume so, since the current version is functioning just fine on my computer and has everything I need, but I'm wary of deleting the previous one without knowing for sure.

Thanks!

becnolan
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Just want to confirm to anyone wondering that yes, it is safe to delete. The files won't be deleted from any old linked dropbox accounts, only your computer. I tested it myself (after copying all the folders, just in case). Go ahead and delete!

PaulaL
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you! I just deleted 197k files and it was TERRIFYING! I keep looking at my current DropBox to be sure everything is still there.....it is (phew!)

Need more support?