cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the current device limit for free accounts?

What is the current device limit for free accounts?

MikeD2
Explorer | Level 4

I am new to the forum but a long term user of free DV from multiple devices 

My question : 

Is this 3 device restriction still active.?

I may wish to use /add /another device sooN

There are only 3 references that I can find to this in this forum which, to my mind, is  a major restriction as we go forward.

12 months on and I would have thought that there would  have been more " noise" or comment here about it 

Or

Has it been quietly dropped in the same way it was introduced.?

( I cannot find any reference to it in the explanatory pages aimed at new members)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Device limit policy for free accounts. 3 devices only March 2019

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @MikeD2, thanks for posting here today!

The three device limit is still active for Dropbox Basic plans, for any new or previously connected device via the Dropbox desktop or mobile application.

This also includes using multiple logins to the same machine, since the Dropbox desktop application would count the second computer profile as a new device.

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @MikeD2, thanks for posting here today!

The three device limit is still active for Dropbox Basic plans, for any new or previously connected device via the Dropbox desktop or mobile application.

This also includes using multiple logins to the same machine, since the Dropbox desktop application would count the second computer profile as a new device.

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

MikeD2
Explorer | Level 4
Thanks Jay
Disappointed to see your reply
We will see what happens when I get a new device
Just for the record could you please point me to the place in the T&C for free accounts which sets out the rules please?
Thanks
Mike

Jay
Dropboxer

Hey again, Mike, the terms and conditions can be found here.

I’m not sure what you mean by ‘the rules’ for free accounts so I can’t provide any additional information, unless you can specify this in more detail?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

MikeD2
Explorer | Level 4
Jay
Thanks.
I am sorry if I wasn’t clear.
We are led to believe that for Free accounts ie no payment monthly is made , limited storage say under 10gb that there is not a limit of 3 useable devices allowed. Existing users will continue till a new device is added

My question is
Where does DB say that?
It is not in the T&C you linked me to above nor does it say it in there advertising blurb
Existing users have not had an email imposing the restriction certainly I have not
All we have is comment in journals 12 months ago, 3 posts on this forum and now my questions.
So I am sorry to repeat “ where in words of one syllable Does DB set out the restriction. New users should be advised, where is it?

I am not in US but using what I understand to be common legal parlance but to my mind “ the restriction is hearsay”

Apart from the need to know where one stands it is the uncertainty of being cut off using an additional device that concerns me

Sorry to go on about it but this is an important issue in terms of DB and its users relationship
Hope you can throw more light on things

Jay
Dropboxer

Thanks for the clarification.

On the site, with this page showing the differences between the three personal plans further down, the device limit is stated there for Basic plans.

Hope this info helps.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

MikeD2
Explorer | Level 4
Thanks.
Well that was well tucked away
Mike

Steve-Aberdeen
New member | Level 2

I used to have a paid Dropbox account with my company, as I needed well over the 2GB limit for a free account.  With referrals, my basic free allowance had risen to over 5GB which was enough for my needs as I wound down to retirement.  My current use is around the 2GB - I use Dropbox to sync between my desktop and laptop, and access files via my iPad and phone.  Updated my iPad this week and discovered the 3 device limit.  Syncing between desktop and laptop is still viable (I work with a few charities and do a bit of teaching and STEM support) - access via my iPad is also viable as I use that a lot nowadays - but I'd have to lose the convenience of being able to quickly check a file on my phone.  Thanks, Dropbox.  I don't need 100GB and, after a few hours of tests and data shuffling, I'm switching over to another cloud service that let's me have four devices linked without paying extra for the privilege.  Dropbox has served me well and reliably for many years, from when cloud services started to become viable for the self-employed.  I'll still use it for one or two apps where changing the sync details will give me a headache (for now) - but shame it's come to this.  Fortunately, there are more services to choose from nowadays.

MikeD2
Explorer | Level 4
Interesting timing for this post
I am going to Have this problem tomorrow with a new phone coming

I anticipated this 3 months and decamped to Pcloud
I was still locked into DB because one prog i have only syncs across all platforms via DB
It is a password keeper prog
Alternatives would introduce a subscription for the p/w prog
All good till my phone’s battery went down 2 days ago. No chance of replacement it was 3.5 years old anyway
However i was not happy with Pcloud. Just not as flexible moving files about. File sharing with others is a pain. So i have spent today decanting files back to DB
That is a pain as well. Pcloud not very helpful at all. Couldn't get files out till i found MULTCLOUD. Note it for the future. It will move files between cloud providers easily
Bottom line , going to have to pay to get What i want and know. Save a subscription on the PW prog. Swings and roundsbouts
I have about 500gb of pictures to load so I guess I will use the service plus 350gb of other data
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

MikeD2 Explorer | Level 4
    Steve-Aberdeen New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?