cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When I click the Dropbox icon on my Mac, I get "Dropbox Folder Missing" messages. Any ideas?

When I click the Dropbox icon on my Mac, I get "Dropbox Folder Missing" messages. Any ideas?

KK11
Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

Does anyone know why I am suddenly getting a 'Dropbox Folder Missing' message come up when I click on the Dropbox icon in my Finder window under Applications?  
It says 'Your Dropbox folder has been moved from it's original location.  It used to be located at /Users/kathykrenn/Dropbox' . . .
well, in the Finder window that is exactly where it shows it is.  
I have the free Basic Dropbox on my macOS Catalina, Version 10.15.6 & Dropbox Version 104.4.175.  

Also I am not getting the icon in my Menu Bar (well, it's there, but grayed out because of the 'Dropbox Folder Missing' note that keeps coming up).

Thank you,

Kathy

15 Replies 15

Re: Dropbox Folder Missing Messages

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hi there @KK11, thanks for reaching out to us here!

Can you send me a screenshot of the error message that you mentioned?

Also, please send me a screenshot of what you see when you click/hover over the Dropbox icon in your menu bar.

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

KK11
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne!  Thank you for getting back to me.

Here is what I see in the Finder window, showing me Dropbox is supposedly where it should be:

Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 10.22.27 AM.jpg

Here's what I see when I double-click Dropbox in the Finder window under Applications:  the box below comes up telling me Dropbox Folder Missing, & when I click on the grayed icon in the Menu Bar, as you have asked me to do, you will see what comes up on the box to the right . . . those little diamonds keep moving around & it says 'Starting . . . on the bottom left corner, but nothing ever happens . . . 

Edited by moderatorEdited by moderator

Is there anything esle you need me to send?

I look forward to hearing back from you!

Thanks again,

Kalthy

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for the screenshots @KK11!

It looks like the Dropbox folder was renamed with the box emoji added to the end of the folder name. The Dropbox folder icon itself just appears as a normal folder icon too instead of with the Dropbox icon.

Can you try removing that from the Dropbox folder name and then relaunch the app to see if that does the trick?

If not, please click the "Relink" option in the error message that you receive when you launch the desktop app on your computer.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

KK11
Explorer | Level 3

Good morning, Daphne,

I removed the box emoji & logged out & back in to Dropbox (is that what you mean by relaunching?) but that didn't help, unfortunately.

I still do not get the Dropbox icon in the Menu Bar when I log in, and also I show items in my Shared folder when looking at it through the Finder window, but when I actually log into the website, it shows 0 items.

I'm still stuck . . .

Daphne
Dropboxer

Do you still receive the same error that you showed before @KK11?

Are you not able to see the Dropbox icon in the menu bar at all, or is it greyed out? If you see it there, does it still show "syncing"?

I can suggest reinstalling the desktop app to see if that resolves this for you. Since the app isn't syncing, this would explain why the local Dropbox folder and online don't match.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Re: When I click the Dropbox icon on my Mac, I get "Dropbox Folder Missing" messages. Any

Aloha8767
New member | Level 2
I am the same

Re: When I click the Dropbox icon on my Mac, I get "Dropbox Folder Missing" messages. Any

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for joining us here @Aloha8767!

Can you provide me some more info on the issue that you're having on your device, to make sure we're on the same page?

If you're getting any errors, please send me a screenshot of this.

Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

KK11
Explorer | Level 3

I actually don't get any error messages at all aymore!  

I don't get the Dropbox icon in the Menu Bar at all anymore either.

This may be a stupid question, but exactly how do I reinstall the desktop app?  

Do you mean to delete Dropbox in the Finder window & then go to your website & install Dropbox again?  

If that is the case, will I lose all my shared contacts by doing this?

Thank you,

Kathy

Daphne
Dropboxer

Since you have all your data within the local Dropbox folder, please do not delete the local folder on your computer @KK11.

I'd suggest first unlinking the device from your account from your account settings here, if it's still showing as connected.

Then you'll just need to uninstall the app itself, which you can do with the steps outlined here.

To install the app again, you can do this directly from the website. You can then just set up the app again on the computer.

If it does create a new Dropbox folder to sync to, you can just pause the sync and move over the content from the old Dropbox folder and resume sync.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?