cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When clicking the Dropbox icon, the window is black. Any ideas?

Highlighted

When clicking the Dropbox icon, the window is black. Any ideas?

Explorer | Level 4

When will your fix be available? I have a new win10 laptop and the dbx is icon in my sys tray is fine but clicking in it give only a black rectangle above.

8 Replies 8
Highlighted

Re: Why is the Dropbox tray icon black on Windows 10?

Explorer | Level 4

Hi,

This problem has been fixed since a long time. Your version of Dropbox is probably not up-to-date.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks Samoreen... but:

My problem is not fixed and I have the latest version of dbx. To be more specific about the problem: the icon in my tray is not black, but when I click on it a black box appears above the tray in the area where the dbx information is supposed to show.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @Belfry, thanks for reaching out to us here!

I've moved you post to a new thread as it seems to be a different issue than what was described on the original.

Could you please send me a screenshot of the black screen that you're referring to?

Also, please let me know which version of the desktop app you currently have installed.

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Daphne

I don’t have the dbx app as I tried it last week (current version) and didn’t want to keep it. I think the version of dbx, not the app, is 86.4.146

My computer is a new Dell windows 10 laptop and I am just setting up things.

Here is a screenshot of what I see when I click the dbx icon in my system tray. 

Thanks for helping.Screenshot 2019-12-13 15.10.47.png

Doug

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for that screenshot @Belfry!

Could you please make sure that your drivers for your graphics card are all up to date on that device? Although it is new, there may still be some updates available.

You can find the steps on how to do this from here.

I'd also recommend checking that your DisplayLink drivers are also updated, which you can find from here.

I hope this helps, let me know how it goes!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Didn't yet have time to do what you suggested, but after a few days the problem corrected. I black box is now filled with the normal dbx info.
Thanks,

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I'm very glad to hear that @Belfry!

If the issue does crop up again, or you have any other questions, don't hesitate to get back to me here. I'd be more than happy to help.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your day!

Daphne

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hello all 
This problem of a black box appeared since June sporadically on different pc's where all the graphic/display drivers are up to date. When it appears I have to turn off dropbox via taskmanager and then start again, most of the times it does appear then normally, in some cases I had to reboot the pc. 

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?