cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When editing PDF documents with Dropbox mobile, they are not saving

When editing PDF documents with Dropbox mobile, they are not saving

energytim
Explorer | Level 4

I have fillable forms that I save to my Dropbox. When I open a new form and I fill it out using a PDF editor (I usually use Adobe Pro DC, but I have used multiple apps during this issue and none of them work), I save the documents back to Dropbox, but it is not saving. I use this feature multiple times a day for the last 3 years without issue. and it is an integral part of my day to day business process. Starting Friday morning, none of my documents are saving. I can copy the document, move the document, rename the document and I can create a new file and save the document to that new file. All of this even shows on my Events log. However my saving the edited documents does not save and does not appear on my Events log. This is only on mobile devices. I have used my phone, I have used multiple tablets with same issue. I can make edits from my desktop, no problem, and those edits show in my Events log. 

I have a dropbox account I use for work (paid account) and a Dropbox I use for personal (free account). The issue is on both accounts. There are 4 people at my work that are having the same issues, all separate accounts. We use a shared file for the document templates. I have started new unshared folders and new forms that are not shared, and the issue is still happening.  For troubleshooting purposes, I started a new account and started a new document, completed unrelated to any document or other accounts. The issue is still happening. 

Also, please note: I have made sure that all devices are using the current version. I have also uninstalled Dropbox and reinstalled Dropbox on all devices. I have unlinked accounts, unlinked shared folders, deleted shared access to folders and documents. I have discussed this with my coworkers as well. This does not fix the issue.

I had a friend of mine that has never used this feature with Dropbox and talked her through how to open a document, edit it, and save it back to Dropbox. Her account and her documents are completely unrelated to mine or anyone else I know. Again, this did not work for her on her mobile device, but she had no problem with saving from her desktop.

6 Replies 6

Re: When editing PDF documents with Dropbox mobile, they are not saving

energytim
Explorer | Level 4

I wanted to add....

It appears that I am not getting any Conflicted Copies either. As a troubleshooting method, I opened the same document within the same folder on both my desktop and my mobile device. I made an edit on the desktop and saved the document while it was still open on my mobile device. There was no Conflicted copy made.

I did a similar test where I made the edit on my mobile device, then saved it, while the document was open on my desktop. Still no conflicted copy. 

Both of these events should have caused Conflicted copies and should have been logged into my Events log. This did not happen. 

Mark
Super User II

Hi, 

The issue with mobile devices is that you have not actually opened the file within the Dropbox folder, as you do on a computer. This is because on mobiles the files are removed from Dropbox (well a copy) and placed in to the application you are using. 

So, the issue is with the applications you are using. If you cannot save a file back from Adobe thats an issue with Adobe. Have you tried a reinstall? Relink of Dropbox etc.?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

energytim
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you for the quick response. So I am not just using Adobe. That is the Default app that I use, but due to this issue, I have also installed and using the following applications:

-PDF Reader- Scan Edit & Share by Kdan Mobile, the latest update and new install

-ezPDF Reader- Unidocs Inc (this used to be by Default application until last January) but I reinstalled and am sure this is the latest version

-Write on PDF- Samsung Electronics. also the latest update. Would not allow me to uninstall and reinstall

-Xodo Docs- the most recent version 4.5.18 and I reinstalled

-Adobe Fill & Sign- Version 1.3.0, new install as of 9/1/18

This issue is happening with all of these applications, on multiple accounts, on multiple mobile devices. 

The document shows that it has been edited in all of the applications, but does not show the recent edits in Dropbox.

Mark
Super User II

Are you actively telling those aps to save the file back to Dropbox? It wont just happen automatically. 

Apple sandboxes all applications so, everything inside an app is stuck inside that app. The other ones do not know that anything has happened to it. Hence in Adobe, for example, you need to then resave it directly back to Dropbox. If you just save it if saves within that app and nowhere else. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

energytim
Explorer | Level 4

So we are using Android devices. 

Our process....

1. Open the document from the Dropbox App. The form opens in a DropBox Document Viewer.

2. There is a square box with an arrow at the bottom of the screen that we select

3. It prompts to Open with.... then we select the App we want to use. Normally we select the Adobe Acrobat App., then select Just Once. This opens the Adobe App so we can fill in the fillable form.

4. We fill in the form and when completed we select the back button on our device. We are prompted that the document is saved and we are automatically returned to the Dropbox document viewer. But now our changes are not saved in that viewer. Until Friday, for the last 3 years, the document has automatically been saved back to Dropbox, regardless of us using EzPDF Reader or Adobe. When The document is saved when accessing from the Dropbox app, it has always been saved back to DropBox. It is not now. 

Mark
Super User II

You may want to log a ticket with support as I'm not sure on Android, but, it sounds like its sandboxed and you need to actively send the file back to Dropbox. 

www.dropbox.com/support to log

http://dropbox.zendesk.com to track. 

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    energytim Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?