Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

When installing the desktop app in S mode, getting an error "Device is not compatible", why is that?

Explorer | Level 4

Trying to install Dropbox Professional on my new Galaxy Book S.  Have upgraded to Windows 10 Pro, S mode is off.  But keep getting a Dropbox install error: 'Device is not compatible with this version of Dropbox.  Dropbox for S mode will run, do you want to install. ' I don't want S mode version.  I want the real Dropbox.  Any insights appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: S Mode Problem

Super User II
Super User II

The Galaxy Book S uses an ARM-based Snapdragon processor. The regular Dropbox application will not run on an ARM processor. Only the S Mode app will run.

ARM processors are generally used in mobile devices and do not run standard applications like you would run on Intel and AMD based computers.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

The Galaxy Book S uses an ARM-based Snapdragon processor. The regular Dropbox application will not run on an ARM processor. Only the S Mode app will run.

ARM processors are generally used in mobile devices and do not run standard applications like you would run on Intel and AMD based computers.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks very much for the quick and complete answer.  Very bummed I only found out about this Dropbox limitation after I purchased my Galaxy Book S.  All my other applications are working great - including the full MS suite.  And the full day of battery life is really wonderful!!  Really hope Dropbox can get their product to be fully functioning on ARM soon...

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Why not upvote the relevant feature request then @ktritchie?

It's not something the team is currently working on but you can find more about this here in case you'd like to upvote it to show your interest. 

I'll also grab the opportunity here to welcome you to the Community; thanks for joining! 

If you ever have any Dropbox questions, please feel free to reach out; we're always a post away. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?