cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When opening a file in Archicad it downloads other files in the Dropbox folder, any ideas?

When opening a file in Archicad it downloads other files in the Dropbox folder, any ideas?

Grejx
New member | Level 2

Hi all.

We have a program called Archicad that will download all files it can find within a folder as 'local files' before it opens the file I need?

Its incredibly time consuming and making it difficult ot work. At this time, best option is to find the file and drag out of dropbox and onto desktop before opening. This is not ideal as we need staff to work together and on latest files saved on a server. 

We all work with dropbox as our server, and where possible we keep files as 'online only' otherwise we run out of memory. 

Last year, we had machines all downloading every file as local files, regardless of sync settings, and finally had a fix via a new patch (zero size placeholders)

Any help would be appreciated. 

MAC OS High Sierra  / Catalina

Archciad 21/22 and 23

Dropbox 102.4.431

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

Re: Auto-syncing all files as local files

Rich
Super User II

@Grejx wrote:

We have a program called Archicad that will download all files it can find within a folder as 'local files' before it opens the file I need?

If you're using Smart Sync, whenever a file is accessed, whether it's by you or an application on your computer, that file will be downloaded back to your computer and marked as Local. If Archicad touches every file in a folder, then Dropbox is going to download every file and mark them as Local again. That's the expected behavior of Dropbox.

Grejx
New member | Level 2

Hi thanks for your reply.

Yes I understand that files become local when accessed but thats my point, Archicad should not be syncing (touching) all the other files that are listed as 'online only'. See the attached example of a typical file stack, noting all the files are listed as "online only" with the exception of 1 highlighed. 

When in this window, before I even click on the local file, Archicad will systematically download every other file as a local file without me instructing it toScreenshot 2020-07-27 13.02.45.png

Rich
Super User II

@Grejx wrote:

When in this window, before I even click on the local file, Archicad will systematically download every other file as a local file without me instructing it to

There's nothing that can be done for that, at least not on the Dropbox side. Archicad is likely loading thumbnails of your files, or trying to access other metadata, and that's going to cause Dropbox to download the file again. Unless you have a way in Archicad to prevent it from doing that, there's nothing that can be done to stop Dropbox from downloading the files. All Dropbox knows is that some process is trying to access a file, so it has to download it.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?