cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will DB fix the error that causes Windows 10 Start menu to fail with a critical error?

When will DB fix the error that causes Windows 10 Start menu to fail with a critical error?

Robert B.61
New member | Level 1

Drop box randomly causes Windows 10 to have a Critical error on the start menu, and it is most definitely Dropbox causing the issue because as soon as you remove it, the error goes away. This has been ongoing for months so DB, please get this fixed ASAP.

8 Replies 8

Re: When will DB fix the error that causes Windows 10 Start menu to fail with a critical error?

David L.117
New member | Level 1

Is your dropbox installed on the same drive as your operating system? I am having random issues but my dropbox folders are installed on a secondary drive. What about SSD? Is the drive your dropbox folder an SSD?

Re: When will DB fix the error that causes Windows 10 Start menu to fail with a critical error?

Mark
Super User II

It would help if you actually said which version of Dropbox you are using

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

David L.117
New member | Level 1

I am using Version 3.10.11

Robert B.61
New member | Level 1

My Dropbox install is on same drive as my system, is a standard HDD, and is 3.10.11 (latest Available), my dropbox folder is on an SSHD drive. I have this same issue across multiple PC's 

David L.117
New member | Level 1

Interesting. I am getting a random error also but because my Dropbox is installed on a second HDD my operating system keeps running. I still need to reboot to access any files on that drive.

Mark
Super User II

Theres a newer version available which you could try:

Release Candidate 3.12.2

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Tad W.
New member | Level 1

FYI. Me too. Using a Surface Pro 4, Windows 10 System, Version 1511 and started getting "Critical Error – Your Start menu isn’t working." Microsoft's solution involves a lot of complex steps and time, yet removing Dropbox fixed it. This happened to me last year on my Surface Pro 3 after upgrading to Windows 10 as well.

Rich
Super User II

This is a Microsoft problem; not Dropbox. Both Microsoft and Dropbox are aware of the issue and are working on it. Refer to the following (rather lengthy and more recent) thread for more information:

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Tad W. New member | Level 1
    Mark Super User II
    David L.117 New member | Level 1
    Robert B.61 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?