cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Smart sync at dropbox app in linux environments

When will Smart Sync work on linux?

edugsdf
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I need to save space on my hard drive. Smart Sync would be the perfect solution, but it still does not work on linux fedora.

When will we have this solution?

180 Replies 180

Chema1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am surprised to see that this issue is pending since at least 2018!!

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/When-will-Smart-Sync-work-on-linux/idi-p/262171

Maybe there are other threads regarding this issue, so Dropbox team should  count all votes from all threads demanding Linux users to be taken in consideration about Smart Sync ... in case Dropbox linux users are considered to need threads and votes to get what Mac and windows users are already getting without having to do anything.

What is the reason for linux users needing to work (and wait al least 4 years) for getting the same as the other users?

Matthew B.53
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Pretty please: support Linux at parity with other platforms. I know it's a pain and expensive for such small market segment but it's the right thing to do!

mechP
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I am a paid subscriber and using dropbox on mac and Linux simultaneously. Today, I found this new thread regarding the age-old issue of not having smart sync capability for Linux systems.
I was subscribed to the old thread created by someone in 2018.
Developers must intervene and provide this feature, at least to the paid subscription. It will be good enough if we can find this feature for ext4, xfs or btrfs file systems only. This will cover most installations of Linux and will be very helpful in managing our storage resources.

Please look into this issue.

Dominik W.2
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

What mechP said.  It's been four years, guys!

jowolf
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This thread is marked "Solved" but it's not -

SmartSync is NOT available on Linux, despite me being a paying customer, and hundreds of posts here over years asking when it will be available.

The thread is NOT solved.

When will SmartSync be available?  Is it in the works?

How about a partial refund for features not available?

msperlin
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I also need smart sync for linux! Can you please implement it?

msperlin
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Im also a paying customer for at least 5 years.. When we will receive the same treatment as other platforms? You just implemented it for Mac!!

commoddity
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

+1 Just signed up as a paying customer mainly to use SmartSync and then found out it's not available for Linux. Please add. Will likely cancel my paid subscription since I use Linux for most things.

chr1s
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

If someone would create an alternate Dropbox client for Linux that provides Smart Sync like behaviour, would you be interested? Please like / +1 this post if you would be willing to back such a project on Kickstarter with at least $99. (Would be released as open source both to make sure it can be shipped by Linux distros and to establish hopefully long-term community maintenance. Kickstarter campaign would not start before there's a working prototype, so total failure of delivery would be unlikely). Asking for a friend.

sp-treasurer
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Like everyone else has said !!  What is telling to me is what is said in the Dropbox authored Article on how to use Smart Sync.  At the top is a grey box that leads with this, "This feature is only available to users on Dropbox Plus, Family, Professional, or Business plans."  So clearly Dropbox understands that is important information to share.  But equaly important is highlighting which platforms support Smart Sync. Why the different treatment? Maybe because for the plan type, they hope it will get more paid user and for the OS it might cost them customers?  Important information is importnt for all, to "bury" something important is not honest business.

Making a decision to not provide this feature on linux is one thing.  But to treat linux users with such disrespect is another.

Need more support?