cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will dropbox support pure ipv6 network

When will dropbox support pure ipv6 network

Z. Jim
New member | Level 1

I am using Dropbox in a pure IPv6 network. But it won't connect unless I set a proxy. As Google, Facebook, Wikipedia and other popular services have deployed IPv6. I'd like to known when Dropbox will support it.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: When will dropbox support pure ipv6 network

Ross_S
Dropboxer

Hi all,

I realise this is a slightly historic thread, but I wanted to reach out to you all with some great news, the Dropbox desktop application now supports connecttion via IPv6!

Here some further information:

The Dropbox desktop app supports connecting on networks that utilize IPv6 addressing. To use IPv6, make sure you’re using version 24.3.xx or later.

If your internal network uses IPv6 addresses, then the desktop application operates within this environment. If your network changes to using IPv4 addressing then Dropbox will continue to run.

With a dual-stack IP implementation where both IPv6 and IPv4 are available, Dropbox uses the IPv6 network by default. If IPv6 addresses are slow to resolve, the app defaults to IPv4.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

jrvanwhy
New member | Level 2

I'm having the same issue with a NAT64'd network. Further, setting a proxy doesn't seem to enable reliable connectivity -- connectivity sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

Ross_S
Dropboxer

Hi all,

I realise this is a slightly historic thread, but I wanted to reach out to you all with some great news, the Dropbox desktop application now supports connecttion via IPv6!

Here some further information:

The Dropbox desktop app supports connecting on networks that utilize IPv6 addressing. To use IPv6, make sure you’re using version 24.3.xx or later.

If your internal network uses IPv6 addresses, then the desktop application operates within this environment. If your network changes to using IPv4 addressing then Dropbox will continue to run.

With a dual-stack IP implementation where both IPv6 and IPv4 are available, Dropbox uses the IPv6 network by default. If IPv6 addresses are slow to resolve, the app defaults to IPv4.

Hope this helps.

jbehrends
New member | Level 2

Ross,

I'm running OSX Sierra and Dropbox v24.4.16 and ipv6 does not work. 

My network is native dual-stack. I tried disabling ipv4 and verified I could still reach google via ipv6, then restarted the dropbox application and it just sat there trying to connect.

Ross_S
Dropboxer

Hi @jbehrends ,

I'll reach out to you by email and we'll see what's happening.

Many thanks for flagging.

IPv6-only still doesn't work

siege
Explorer | Level 4

I'm running Dropbox desktop client v. 27.4.22 on macOS Sierra (10.12.5). As a test, I turned off IPv4 addressing and went IPv6 only. I have successfully connected to other IPv6 sites (Google, CNN, Apple, etc.). Dropbox refuses to move beyond "Connecting…"

I've read some of the other posts around here, and Dropbox says they have IPv6 functionality. I see no evidence of that. Even doing a host lookup only seems to yield AA records (not AAAA).

My ISP gives me native IPv6, so I don't use a proxy.

Any ideas?

Re: IPv6-only still doesn't work

Rich
Super User II

Just mentioning @Ross_S since he's replied to these IPv6 posts in the past.

Ross_S
Dropboxer

@Rich is right, I generraly come when I'm called 😄

@siege I'll reach out to you by e-mail and we'll see where the issue is. Your client should be able to connect to us via IPv6 without issue.

siege
Explorer | Level 4

Two emails sent about twelve hours ago to you, @Ross S.. I look forward to any help!

Ross_S
Dropboxer

Thanks, I have them and will be in touch shortly via the email once I've investigated the logs 🙂

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rick C.31 New member | Level 2
    mdavids New member | Level 2
    Ross_S Dropboxer
    siege Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?