cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where does Drobox linux app put upgrade file?

Where does Drobox linux app put upgrade file?

mattia_b89
Explorer | Level 3

I use the Dropbox desktop app on Linux (Arch Linux x86_64 with Gnome 3.26).

As you know, app update itself automatically.

Where can I find upgrading file (the file needed to update Dropbox app and I expected it in the same form as the installer: .tar.gz)?

I'd like to have it because sometime package build options change and I don't want to download it (again, since the dropbox app has already done it...) in order to build the package.

PS: the Dropbox app isn't in the official Arch Linux repository, so I need to build the package by my own to update it, and to do it I need the installer

7 Replies 7

Re: Where does Drobox linux app put upgrade file?

Jane
Dropboxer
Hey mattia_b89, welcome aboard!

As a point of reference, you may keep in mind that you can download that latest Dropbox client versions (depending on your OS) here: https://www.dropbox.com/install-linux, where you’re given the option to Compile from Source”, if you’d like to go with a headless Linux installation. 

Hopefully this answers your desktop-specific inquiry, though let me know in your next reply in case you may need further clarifications about any of the above. Wishing you a great week ahead! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

mattia_b89
Explorer | Level 3

No, this does not help me!

I'm trying to pick up the already dowloaded file exactly because I don't want to (re-)download it.

My DSL is very slow, less than 1 Mb/s and I want to preserve my bandwidth at any cost: I can't disable automatic update, so at least I want to re-use the already downloaded upgrading file.

Jane
Dropboxer
Thanks for clarifying mattia_b89, let me follow-up in more detail below! 

The package installation folder should normally be downloaded on your default Downloads” folder on your device & you may store it elsewhere (i.e. on a different location), so as to use it again in the future, in case you’d like to avoid re-downloading it anew. 

Hopefully the info above helps you shed some light on the matter & feel free to let me know here if you need more clarifications on this discussion!  

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

mattia_b89
Explorer | Level 3

I don't have anything related to dropbox in my download folder.

Maybe, it will be automatically deleted after its use?

Rich
Super User II
I don't think Jane understands that you're not asking about the file you would download manually, but instead the file that Dropbox would download during its automatic update process.

Best guess is that the file is likely deleted as soon as the process is complete and won't be stored anywhere.

Jane
Dropboxer
Thanks for the clarification Rich & I’m sorry to get back to you in delay mattia_b89

In truth, I was unable to locate this detail on my resources, though I could forward your inquiry to the relevant specialized team member (i.e. in form of  question), so as to address your query in the best possible way. In order to transfer your request correctly, can you let me know of the following? 

• Can you tell me more information on how you’d utilize the info related to the Updater? 
  • Would you like to store the particular file or would you like to perform any different action with it? 

Once I have this info, I’d happily follow-up more closely. Happy Monday!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

mattia_b89
Explorer | Level 3

If the update file is available, I will use it directly when I build the dropbox package, instead download the file from the website.

I use Arch Linux and dropbox package build script is here so, as first idea I could add an IF statement in the right point:

• if the file is here (somewhere in the dropbox dir...), use it!
  • else, download it from the official site

this improvement will speed up package build and new version will be available faster

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

mattia_b89 Explorer | Level 3
    Jane Dropboxer
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?