cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where does Dropbox app save my passwords?

Where does Dropbox app save my passwords?

New member | Level 2

I have the Dropbox desktop app installed on my PC.  First time it asked me to sign in and I used my google account to get my files and folders in the app.

Now whenever I click the "globe" icon on the system tray, it redirects me to the Dropbox website of my account, without even asking me for the credentials. So I don't need to enter my password and it means the app stores my passwords (encrypted or otherwise) in my local computer.   Where does my password get saved? Can I know in which config file/folder?

1 Reply 1

Re: Where does Dropbox app save my passwords?

Super Collaborator | Level 20

@rdseeker2 wrote:

Now whenever I click the "globe" icon on the system tray, it redirects me to the Dropbox website of my account, without even asking me for the credentials. So I don't need to enter my password and it means the app stores my passwords (encrypted or otherwise) in my local computer.   Where does my password get saved? Can I know in which config file/folder?

Hi @rdseeker2,

Dropbox doesn't save your password locally. That's why you can't reach it. The application uses tokens to identify particular link between desired application instance and your account. This alternative type of credentials lets application access your account (including to open a web view). Because of this you can remove/unlink particular link/device connected to your account without change your password and without your password be exposed.

Hope this clarifies matter.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?