cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Gear icon

Where is the gear icon on my Dropbox desktop app?

Lynda C.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Anyone know where to find the gear icon on Dropbox?

62 Replies 62

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

judyc wrote:

when I go to the dropbox icon in the system's tray, it doesn't have a check, and shows a box with Up to Date and the version number, but I don't get the recently updated box (or any box) with the gear in it.

If you single-click that icon you should see the Dropbox window appear, with the gear in the upper-right corner.

6bdfb8824cabe4b67c3116eae869d2f2.png

Also, the check mark no longer appears on the Dropbox icon. The screenshots shown in previous replies are out of date.

wardoverall
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Dang brilliant Alicia E. !!!  How did you ever find that blasted little "gear"?  Good job!  

Thanks,

Ward Overall

caleythistle
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

thank you so much for this valuable information, i was like where the hell is this gear wheel, it's just not user friendly, screen shots worked a treat

CarolynMello
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I cannot find the gear icon.  Where is it hidden?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Have you read the thread? It has been pointed out numerous times in screengrabs CarolynMello as to where it is.

If you still have issues you need to explain to us in more detail whats happening.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@CarolynMello wrote:

I cannot find the gear icon.  Where is it hidden?

Hello, @CarolynMello...

You didn't offer any specifics as to what tools you're currently using, such as; operating system or what type of device (eg: computer, phone or tablet).

As Mark has pointed out... if you read through this entire thread, you'll find 5-different posts with screenshots showing where to find the gear icon.

Please be aware that the gear icon is only visible when you're using the Dropbox Desktop Client.

If you have the Dropbox Desktop Client installed on your computer, then look for the Dropbox Icon in your system tray or menu bar (view directions - be sure to choose your operating system).

After locating the Dropbox Icon, click on it and you'll see the gear icon in the upper right-corner of the Dropbox pop-up window.

If above didn't help you, please do as Mark suggested by giving more information to us so we can assist you further (consider posting a screenshot so we can see what you're viewing minus any sensitive info).

I'm listing the Help Center articles below for your convenience, this way you can read them at your leisure.

HELP CENTER ARTICLES:

ChristineL
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Most helpful. I did not know what the systems tray was or where it was. Thanks you

historian1689
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi.  I have the Dropbox app.   I have clicked the dropbox icon in the system tray.  A window comes up.  But there is no gearbox in the upper right hand corner of the  window that has opened up.   I am running on Windows 10.  Thanks. 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

It's this icon...

966415ef220bd3fb9cd2b6d41985eebe.png

ChristineL
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am trying to paste a screen shot, but every time I try, I get the message, "An unexpected error has occurred" with no explanation about what has gone wrong

Need more support?