cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is the gear icon on my Dropbox desktop app?

Where is the gear icon on my Dropbox desktop app?

Lynda C.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Anyone know where to find the gear icon on Dropbox?

62 Replies 62

Julianne L.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I finally found this. Hopefully will help you to Claudia. It looks like on a Mac there are two dropbox icons (one in the Finder - this is the one I have been repeatedly trying but the drop down menu doesn't show the gear/cog icon; the other one - the one you need - is on the bar running across the very top of your screen. The dropbox icon sits there next to any other startup app icons. Click on this one, and you will find a menu with the gear icon).

Patrick B.46
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi

I have just installed Windows 10 on a Microsoft Surface. I want to do selective sync and can't find the gear icon in my Dropbox anymore. If I click on the dropbox icon it just says which are the recently changed files and "Up to Date" but no gear icon and henc no selective sync option...help !

Ben L.29
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

This really is appalling. Dropbox and all these technology companies are owned by billionaires and employ top people. I simply cannot find the "gear icon". Why can the Dropbox info not make this idiot proof? It simply says click the "geat icon". I have Windows 10 and have clicked on every single thing that can be clicked on, accessing every single route into dropbox (from desktop to task bar to search menu etc).

I am reasonably computer literate compared to my parents or many other people, yet I cannot provide this because dropbox have made it so hard. Unforgivable when top companies do this.

Robert S.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

It really isn't that difficult to find: system tray > Dropbox client icon > gear icon

See also: https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/change-preferences

DesktopClient.jpg

Patrick B.46
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Found the gear icon now. thanks

Dennis C.10
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I know the gear icon in on the Dropbox pop up on the to right BUT when I click on the Dropbox icon in the system tray I only see about 50% of what I should. I don't see the gear (it is off screen). I don;t see the footer commands (Dropbox folder; Dropbox.com). I only see the Up To Date icon and truncated names of recent changed files

Richard P.38
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have found the gear is hidden when I use a large display screen with my surface pro 3. If I boot directly to the monitor all works. If I start the surface pro then place in a dock, the video driver behaves differently and hides things.

Lukas N.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

If the gear icon is missing from the window that pops up from the tray (windows 10 problem?), try scrolling through the window by holding the left mouse button while moving the cursor over the edge of the window to scroll in that direction.

Found this out purely by coincidence. Hope this helps.

Jonathan L.20
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Lukas N., you da man.

Brandi B.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

windows 10, i can't find the gear icon.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II