cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is the gear icon on my Dropbox desktop app?

Where is the gear icon on my Dropbox desktop app?

Lynda C.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Anyone know where to find the gear icon on Dropbox?

62 Replies 62

Chris E.26
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I recently changed to a Microsoft Surface Book running Windows 10 and the gear icon no longer appears for me when clicking on the DropBox icon in the system tray.  So I can no longer access selective sync.  It worked fine on my prior laptop and works on all my other computers that I am syncing to.  I emailed support and they recommended I reinstall.  I did so and during the install it allowed me to configure selective sync which allowed me to change the setting I wanted, but did not restore access to the gear icon.  After done I still do not have access to the settings/menu.  Left click and right click do nothing.  Double left click brings up my drop box folder.  Mouseover the icon brings up "DropBox 8.4.21 Up to Date".  I know what should happen because I can configure on my other computers.  It just doesn't work on this computer.  Any suggestions would be helpful.

barbjaxn
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks so much!!!!   I was going nuts trying to figure it out. 

LG26
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same problem here (March 2017, Windows 10, latest Dropbox installer).

For the record, this trick worked for me:

In Windows Display Settings >> Advanced Display Settings, change screen resolution to something low like 1920x1080 as opposed to "recommended" resolution, and restart the computer. Then right-clicking on Dropbox icon in System Tray worked.

p.s. I blame Windows 10. NEVER had any Dropbox problem on my Mac over all versions of OS X.

Tbutcher
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks for unraveling the mystery. I needed to move the files to another drive and couldn’t do it until I read your post.

kirakirakira
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you!!! I had to disconnect my external monitors, change the resolution, restart, and then a little window popped up with a gear icon. Before nothing happened when I clicked the dropbox icon in the system tray

ramy4
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I think the point the whole point is that the icon no longer appears in system tray? i have that problem....

@Robert S. wrote:

It really isn't that difficult to find: system tray > Dropbox client icon > gear icon

See also: https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/change-preferences

DesktopClient.jpg

ramy4
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

May I ask more help... what if there is no folder that has the up arrow icon, in the system tray? I'm on Windows 10 too, on a Microsoft Surface... and I can't find the Dropbox icon at all and can't change my preferences/ selective sync... so now it is syncing everything ! 

judyc
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I thought this was going to be the solution, but when I go to the dropbox icon in the system's tray, it doesn't have a check, and shows a box with Up to Date and the version number, but I don't get the recently updated box (or any box) with the gear in it.  Does anyone have a solution to this?  I already re-downloaded the desktop icon and that didn't work.  I am running out of space on my hard drive and need to use selective sync.  I' also on a Microsoft Surface, running WIN 10.  No gear anywhere.

ramy4
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

So mine had a really simple solution that I'm almost embarassed to post but thought to close the my own loop. Turns out my new surface was on tablet mode, even if, the keyboard was connected. And so, on tablet mode, no gear icon really appears. Switch back to PC mode, and icon found, problem solved. Ooops. New hardware adjustment issues.

judyc
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks.  I checked, but am on PC, not tablet.  Am going to try the suggestion re: changing resolution.  Frustrating.  

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Spring-Sun Explorer | Level 3
    ChristineL Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?