cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

White Window on Windows Server 2008

White Window on Windows Server 2008

tommyLy
Explorer | Level 3

Hi all,

I have a Windows server 2008 R2 and I have ran into some dropbox issues with the latest client.

Every time I launch dropbox it will load up and it will show on the bottom right hand corner but when attempting to sign in the setup dropbox window it just shows a white screen.

It doesnt allow me to enter any log in details or anything just a plain white screen.

I have tried installing one of the beta versions Stable Build 15.4.22. This allowed me to connect and log in without any white screen.

But over time when asking my clients to test on there side the white screen will appear again and no one is able to log in.

I then checked on the server to see whether it was the same and yes I was prompted the white screen to setup dropbox but unable to enter any information.

Can someone kindly assist urgently.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: White Window on Windows Server 2008

Rich
Super User II

tmh-corporation wrote:

impossible to run with the compability Windows 2000, it needs packages Windows 2000? Why??

It doesn't NEED Windows 2000. The problem is that you're running Dropbox on an operating system that is not supported. By telling the computer to run it in Compatibility mode, it can sometimes get around the incompatibility and function normally.

Remember, Dropbox does not officially support Windows Server operating systems. It never has.

View solution in original post

40 Replies 40

Running Dropbox App on Windows Server 2008 R2

RiccardoN
Explorer | Level 3

Hey,

One of our customers desires to have Dropbox installed on their server. I've already seen some methods to run Dropbox as a service with Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit.

My problem now: The latest version of Dropbox doesn't seem to run on Windows Server 2008 R2. When I want to open the application after the installation, it only shows a white window. Normally it would show the login-screen for your Dropbox-account.

I've then tried to install older versions of Dropbox (version 3.x.x or 8.x.x). Those run and I get to the login-screen. But when I want to login, I get the message, that I'm using an older version of Dropbox and that I need to update it.

Is there a way to get the latest Dropbox running on Windows Server 2008 R2? Or a way to login with older versions?

(I think, we installed Dropbox for another customer aswell a few years ago, on a Windows 2008 R2 Server and this one still seems to run - even though they have version 2.6.x.)

Thanks in advance!

-Riccardo

Re: Running Dropbox App on Windows Server 2008 R2

ramuvvy
New member | Level 2

I'm also facing the same issue, I've installed Dropbox 17.4.33 on Windows 2008 R2 cloud box, after the installation, it only shows a white window.

@RiccardoN wrote:

Hey,

One of our customers desires to have Dropbox installed on their server. I've already seen some methods to run Dropbox as a service with Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit.

My problem now: The latest version of Dropbox doesn't seem to run on Windows Server 2008 R2. When I want to open the application after the installation, it only shows a white window. Normally it would show the login-screen for your Dropbox-account.

I've then tried to install older versions of Dropbox (version 3.x.x or 8.x.x). Those run and I get to the login-screen. But when I want to login, I get the message, that I'm using an older version of Dropbox and that I need to update it.

Is there a way to get the latest Dropbox running on Windows Server 2008 R2? Or a way to login with older versions?

(I think, we installed Dropbox for another customer aswell a few years ago, on a Windows 2008 R2 Server and this one still seems to run - even though they have version 2.6.x.)

Thanks in advance!

-Riccardo

Rich
Super User II

Dropbox has never officially supported server operating systems. You could try contacting Support, but they may end up telling you that it's not a supported system.

Open your ticket here: https://bit.ly/cm-support
Track your ticket here: https://dropbox.zendesk.com

Replies take approximately 1 - 3 business days with Pro users getting priority (longer for Basic users).

You might also try posting on the thread that's specific to the version you're running:

Mark
Super User II
Unfortunately the only known work around is to install a 15.4.x build.

Please also remember that Server 2008 is NOT a supported OS so I wouldnt expect the issue to be fixed and so workarounds will need to be continue to be employed.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

tommyLy
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Do you think they will ever update it so it does support that OS.

I know older versions of dropbox works perfectly fine , but forces the user to update...

@Mark wrote:
Unfortunately the only known work around is to install a 15.4.x build.

Please also remember that Server 2008 is NOT a supported OS so I wouldnt expect the issue to be fixed and so workarounds will need to be continue to be employed.

Rich
Super User II

tommyLy wrote:

Do you think they will ever update it so it does support that OS.

Not likely, or at least not intentionally. Dropbox has never officially supported server-based operating systems, though it has just worked on occasion. Dropbox is meant for personal computers; not servers.

Mark
Super User II
I doubt it - Server 2008 is no longer supported by Microsoft except for critical security updates and Dropbox has never actually supported any server installations they worked by accident as they were so similar to XP etc.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

alpha
Helpful | Level 5

Hi! I found solution for this problem. Close application in tray. Then run dropbox in compatibility mode  "Windows 2000". After run, close application again and disable compatibility mode. 

Joe88
New member | Level 2

Did you guys ever find an answer for this problem on Windows Server 2008r2?

Thanks,

J

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

adnanj85 New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
    DNA Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?