cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am I being forced to update my desktop app?

Why am I being forced to update my desktop app?

Legion
Helpful | Level 6

After stopping automatic updates I  thought that was the end of the matter. Now it's "Please update within the next 25 days to continue using Dropbox".

Can someone tell me why Windows users have forced updates, but those on Android can happily use old versions for years on end?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Forced updates

Ross_S
Dropboxer

Force updates is a divisive topic. The reason for updates is for improvements. The reason for 'force updates' is to maintain security and operations. 

Here I'm pretty happy with the company line. We auto update people to ensure that users are on the most stable version. The industry and our culture dictate that we iterate fast, releasing new products and features fast, This allows our users to have the smoothest, most impactful experience. - that said, I'm not in Marketing so.... I would also outline that this ensures you are using the most secure, safest version. Users trust us with their most precious memories, their most business-critical files, we have a responsibility to ensure that data remains safe at all times as the world around us changes.

If we add something or tweak something it's for good reason and should be for the benefit of the user.

We hope you enjoy our new offerings 🙂

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Mark
Super User II
They cant. Dropbox has done exactly the same to older versions of the client before on mobile devices.

iOS at the moment is currently dropping features available under v72 (I think!) so it does happen across all incarnations of Dropbox.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Legion
Helpful | Level 6

Maybe the OS has something to do with it. I haven't updated Dropbox on my Tablet (Jellybean) for a year.  On my phone, for about 4 months. Everything is syncing fine.

It's not that I don't want to update, never, ever.  I just hate forced updates, especially on a tethered laptop where frequent and fairly large Dropbox updates are a pain. But at least I can prevent auto-updating.

Mark
Super User II
Forced updates on mobiles is less common. I suppose its because there is a lot less risk of data loss on those sort of devices.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Ross_S
Dropboxer

Force updates is a divisive topic. The reason for updates is for improvements. The reason for 'force updates' is to maintain security and operations. 

Here I'm pretty happy with the company line. We auto update people to ensure that users are on the most stable version. The industry and our culture dictate that we iterate fast, releasing new products and features fast, This allows our users to have the smoothest, most impactful experience. - that said, I'm not in Marketing so.... I would also outline that this ensures you are using the most secure, safest version. Users trust us with their most precious memories, their most business-critical files, we have a responsibility to ensure that data remains safe at all times as the world around us changes.

If we add something or tweak something it's for good reason and should be for the benefit of the user.

We hope you enjoy our new offerings 🙂

liz k.5
Explorer | Level 4
Culture? give me a break! We just want to use our stuff and have lives of our own! We don't live for software updates! We just want to set and forget and live our lives and not have to update CONSTANTLY! How hard is that to understand?! I am sick of being required to be on the latest version because some hoity toity big shot decides for us how we should live our lives. I am sick of this kind of mentality from developers!
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

liz k.5 Explorer | Level 4
    Ross_S Dropboxer
    Mark Super User II
    Legion Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?