cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I backup my SMS messages on my account now?

Why can't I backup my SMS messages on my account now?

Mgh
Helpful | Level 5

Can anyone advise me please? I have been successfully backing up texts from my mobile to dropbox on a regular basis then transferring these to a documents folder on my pc.  On route I have been able to save them as an html document for easy reading.  Has something changed because I can't do that anymore.  If I save or download the SMS back up with XML the format dropbox uses - it is blank when I open it.   If I share it with my email and then download it, I cannot save it in my documents. I just don't know what to do!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Apps/SMSBackup

Mgh
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Jay,

Well it's sorted - not sure how though!  I think we were trying to open a file in drop box other than in the App folder.  But anyway thank you so much for trying to help.  Really appreciate it.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi there, what app or program are you using to convert the SMS files to XML?

Dropbox doesn’t change your files in any way, so if the file appears blank in Dropbox, then the conversion to XML format is what is causing the blank files.

Let me know more so I can assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Mgh
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Jay,

The App on my phone is SMS Backup & Restore.  The files appear in dropbox in xml format.  It has worked fine up to now.  Have deleted it and re-installed it.

After re-installing the App on my phone the file will now open as it is on dropbox in xml format - however in order to save this to a different file on my computer I have to copy and paste it to a word document - and the format isn't the best - although better than nothing.

If I download the xml file on dropbox - nothing happens. 

All I want to do is to transfer the file in dropbox to a file on my PC in a reasonable format.  I've done this in the past by right clicking on the dropbox file and opening it with firefox then saving it on my PC - however that just doesn't work any more. Thanks for your help.

Jay
Dropboxer
So, just to clarify, the export of the XML file from SMS Backtup & Restore to Dropbox is working normally, however you want a way to convert the XML file to another format which is readable by Word, or another app?

In general, Dropbox doesn’t amend your files in any way, so I doubt that the XML file is being changed by viewing it in the Dropbox app. 

Does opening the XML file in a browser work at all? I’m not sure how this is related to Dropbox itself, since Dropbox can’t convert files for you.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Mgh
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Jay,

Well it's sorted - not sure how though!  I think we were trying to open a file in drop box other than in the App folder.  But anyway thank you so much for trying to help.  Really appreciate it.

Jay
Dropboxer
Well, I’m glad that you managed to resolve the issue by yourself!

Let me know if you experience any further problems. 🙂

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    Mgh Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?