cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I install the desktop app on my computer?

Why can't I install the desktop app on my computer?

sblar1
Explorer | Level 3

I can't install the desktop application due to company policies on installation path.

The eventlog says:

Access to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\GUM6D8C.tmp\DropboxUpdate.exe has been restricted by the administrator by location  according to policy rule {5730e07d-49cf-491f-a478-04f638702dc6} on path C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\*\*.exe.

(translated from danish)

this is from the off-line installer.

The policy rule affects the path, not Dropbox itself.

Is there any way around this?

6 Replies 6

Re: Why can't I install the desktop app on my computer?

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey @sblar1, it sounds like you’re connected through a work network, is that right? 

If you are, check with your company’s IT department, since there may be an update on your firewall settings (or any other additional security precaution placed) which could be affecting the procedure. 

I’d also recommend checking this article out for some additional info that may help. 

Let me know of any updates!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

sblar1
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lusil

Thanks for your answer, but the problem is not in the firewall, but in a Group Policy that prevents installation from the mentioned path.

I actually tried to dissect the off-line installer .exe file and run individual parts of it. I managed to get DP installed, but in a broken way. The application works but can't be de-installed and perhaps I will run into problems when it's time to update.

Lusil
Dropboxer
Thanks for the swift reply and for clarifying this for me, @sblar1

@sblar1 wrote:

the problem is not in the firewall, but in a Group Policy that prevents installation from the mentioned path.

From what I understand, this is still something that your company’s IT department will have to look at, since it's likely blocking the installation and uninstallation processes from being carried out successfully. 

If you’re still having trouble even after allowing the processes to run, please don’t hesitate to get back to me. Thanks! :grin:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

sblar1
Explorer | Level 3

I agree, but since they are not likely to change this policy, I am looking for another way.

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey again, @sblar1.

To have the full experience of the desktop app, you’d need to fully install it. If a third party app is hindering the installation process, I wouldn’t recommend an alternative method of proceeding due to any errors that may occur. In the meantime, you can still access all your files and folders through the website

I know that this isn’t the ideal solution you’re looking for, but I do hope this helped to some extent. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

sblar1
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Lusil. 

Of course I was hoping for an off-line installer that doesn't have it's own idea of which temporary path to use, but I guess that's not to be.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

sblar1 Explorer | Level 3
    Lusil Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?