cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Why can’t I save excel files directly to dropbox?

Why can’t I save excel files directly to dropbox?

Tal S.2
New member | Level 1

One of my team members whose computer runs on Windows 8 can’t save Excel files directly to Dropbox, but has to save it to another place on his computer before moving it to a Dropbox folder.
Does anyone have a clue why?

7 Replies 7

DD1
Dropboxer

Hi Tal! Sounds like something that's wrong with permissions. Do you get a particular error message?

Tal S.2
New member | Level 1

The error received is:

The file could not be accessed. Try one of the following:
-make sure the specified folder exists
-make sure the folder that contains is not read-only
-make sure the file name does not contain any of the following characters <>?...
-make sure the file7path name doesn’t contain more than 218 characters

none of the above applies

Courtney B.2
New member | Level 1

I have the same problem. Did you find a solution? Thanks!

Tal S.2
New member | Level 1

Unfortunately, not yet...

Tried the permissions, all seems fine...

Anyone?

Claire G.10
New member | Level 1

Hi Tal,

What is the path of that file?

My guess is that from C:// to file.xls (like C://users/username/Dropbox/folder 1/folder 2/file.xls) you have more than 255 characters and Excel can't handle that.

If you move the file directly in your root folder C://users/username/Dropbox, it'll open in Excel 😉

Hope this helps!

Matt W.12
New member | Level 1

We had the same issue at our company. What we found was the issue was that one of the "exempt character" types ( < > : [ ] etc.) was used in one of the higher level dropbox folders, not the name of the file, and that was causing the issue. For example:

C:\Users\user name\Dropbox (company)\Project [XYZ]      - This file extension would not allow the file to be saved because the dropbox folder name had [ ] . So we changed it to:

C:\Users\user name\Dropbox (company)\Project - XYZ      and the issue was resolved. 

Check the earlier segments of the file path to make sure none of the "exempt characters" are being used.

VentaMAX o.
New member | Level 2

the solution of Matt helped me 🙂

thanks 

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Need more support?