cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Why can’t I save excel files directly to dropbox?

Why can’t I save excel files directly to dropbox?

Tal S.2
New member | Level 1

One of my team members whose computer runs on Windows 8 can’t save Excel files directly to Dropbox, but has to save it to another place on his computer before moving it to a Dropbox folder.
Does anyone have a clue why?

7 Replies 7

DD1
Dropboxer

Hi Tal! Sounds like something that's wrong with permissions. Do you get a particular error message?

Tal S.2
New member | Level 1

The error received is:

The file could not be accessed. Try one of the following:
-make sure the specified folder exists
-make sure the folder that contains is not read-only
-make sure the file name does not contain any of the following characters <>?...
-make sure the file7path name doesn’t contain more than 218 characters

none of the above applies

Courtney B.2
New member | Level 1

I have the same problem. Did you find a solution? Thanks!

Tal S.2
New member | Level 1

Unfortunately, not yet...

Tried the permissions, all seems fine...

Anyone?

Claire G.10
New member | Level 1

Hi Tal,

What is the path of that file?

My guess is that from C:// to file.xls (like C://users/username/Dropbox/folder 1/folder 2/file.xls) you have more than 255 characters and Excel can't handle that.

If you move the file directly in your root folder C://users/username/Dropbox, it'll open in Excel 😉

Hope this helps!

Matt W.12
New member | Level 1

We had the same issue at our company. What we found was the issue was that one of the "exempt character" types ( < > : [ ] etc.) was used in one of the higher level dropbox folders, not the name of the file, and that was causing the issue. For example:

C:\Users\user name\Dropbox (company)\Project [XYZ]      - This file extension would not allow the file to be saved because the dropbox folder name had [ ] . So we changed it to:

C:\Users\user name\Dropbox (company)\Project - XYZ      and the issue was resolved. 

Check the earlier segments of the file path to make sure none of the "exempt characters" are being used.

VentaMAX o.
New member | Level 2

the solution of Matt helped me 🙂

thanks 

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Need more support?