Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Why can't I set a custom location for my dropbox anymore?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi, 

I've happily paid for dropbox for years. I have always had one harddrive be my dropbox folder. that way if the OS went down, the files were fine and didn't need to be redownloaded. This is a critical feature to me and I have no interest in remaining a customer if this is not possible. I use Linux and Windows and Android. Several of my work flows require the classic rsync like features and custom location of Dropbox. Maybe I'm just missing it but I don't see a way to move my folder. 

Also the app keeps soft pushing me to choose cloud only storage. Stop that. It's fine for some people if they want it. I will never want that because dropbox is backing up MY local files to your service. I am not using your service to get my files. Please pass this on to whomever is making the marketing decisions. I want selective sync of local drives across devices from where ever I wish to store the data on my machine.

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Why can't I set a custom location for my dropbox anymore?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @Dontfixifntbrkn, thanks for reaching out to us here!

You should be able to choose a different location for your Dropbox folder with the steps listed here. If you have any issues or errors then please send along a screenshot.

Also, I understand that Smart Sync isn't ideal for how you use the desktop app in your current set up. There's a few settings I'd suggest checking within the app preferences.

After opening the preferences, you can go to the "Sync" tab, where you can set new files to sync as "Local". You'll also need to turn off "Save space automatically".

As a last measure, you can also turn off Smart Sync by disabling the system extension, but please make sure all files are local first. All top level folders should show the  icon.

Your feedback on this is really appreciated, so I've made a note of this too.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?