cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I uninstall the Dropbox desktop application?

Why can't I uninstall the Dropbox desktop application?

KnockNrod
Explorer | Level 3

I'm actually trying to update the program to the latest version, but that fails. I was instructed, then, to follow the instructions here, to go through APPWIZ.CPL, which also failed, then to go to the program files(x86) and run the uninstaller in the client folder, which also failed, then to run the uninstaller with admin, which also failed.

I checked the Windows Applications events and I don't see the failure reason there. Is there a log file somewhere I can check to find the reason for the failure?

Short of asking IT to reformat my drive, is there any other options for removal?

4 Replies 4

Re: Uninstall Failed

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @KnockNrod, thanks for joining the Community!

It does sounds like the Dropbox desktop application is having issues updating, and then uninstalling.

What error are you getting when attempting to uninstall the app? Have you tried the steps here to perform an advanced reinstallation?

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Uninstall Failed

KnockNrod
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for taking the time to try to help. Yes, that's the list I've already gone through before posting. Nothing there works. There is no error message, which is why I was asking if there's a log file and tried to find the error message in Windows Events for Applications. Nothing. 

Note, there are several clients in the folder mentioned, and all but one has a version number. I'm running the uninstall on the Client folder with no version number, as described in the link you offered. When I run the uninstall, it very quickly goes two-thirds of the way, then says "Dropbox failed to uninstall." So, I guess that's the error message?

Do you know where else I might look for a more helpful error message?

Endless update attempt fails with latest version of Dropbox

Dolphin_Bear
Explorer | Level 3

Should I attempt the advanced uninstall? My usual machine is a MBP, but it's in the shop. I'm using a donated ancient hp laptop that barely runs Windows 7. Dropbox keeps trying to do an automatic update. Every time I've tried to apply the update (clicking "yes" to authorize the process), it fails. I even tried a plain "on top" install. This yielded "failed with error 0x80004002." Any insight on what that error is?

Re: Endless update attempt fails with latest version of Dropbox

Jay
Dropboxer

It sounds like this is a generic Windows error, which could indicate that the installation of Windows needs to be updated to the latest patch for Windows 7, and include all security updates.

An old thread here gives more information, though installing that version of the app would be out of date by now.

I wouldn't personally recommend amending the registry manually, so I'd try disabling the antivirus software prior to downloading and installing the software to see if this helps. If you can do the advanced reinstall, even better.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?