cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't you drag and drop an Outlook attachment from an email into the drop area in DropBox?

Why can't you drag and drop an Outlook attachment from an email into the drop area in DropBox?

Eliana H.
New member | Level 1

I know that you can save the attachment and then click and drag or install the DropBox client but I want to know why your can't do it directly from within Outlook.

9 Replies 9

Re: Why can't you drag and drop an Outlook attachment from an email into the drop area in DropBox?

Richard P.
Super User alumni

Because Outlook doesnt support the filesystem hooks that a browser must use to grab the file when presented with a file drop event. Its an Outlook issue, not a Dropbox website or browser issue.

Re: Why can't you drag and drop an Outlook attachment from an email into the drop area in DropBox?

Arun B.2
New member | Level 1

No websites support dragging directly from Outlook, but you can drag an attachment from Outlook to Dropbox directly by installing a utility called Outlook2web. This let's you drag and drop into a lot of websites, and it definately works for Dropbox because they show it on the video on the site.

Arpine M.
New member | Level 1

I dragged attachments from drafted email to dropbox and all the attachments disappeared. Now they don't appear neither in dropbox nor in my draft email. Could you help me please, where have they gone?   

Rick M.
Experienced Collaborator | Level 13

u moved the attach.

Arpine M.
New member | Level 1

So they are not copied anywhere? Usually when you drag from outlook to somewhere, the copy still remains. 

Richard P.
Super User alumni

You would have to ask that question in an Outlook-related forum I am afraid, Arpine - if the browser doesn't accept the "drop" event (because Outlook doesnt support it as a source) then Dropbox never saw the file and wouldn't know anything about it.

In this case, Outlook was the only application that knew anything about the file.

Arpine M.
New member | Level 1

Thanks for explaining

Christopher P.14
New member | Level 2

You can do this, but you need to use Outlook2Web to do it. It works very well with Dropbox.

// disclaimer - owner of the software.

Ed
Dropboxer

Hi everyone, 

Are you still using Outlook? If so, are you interested in trying out a new Dropbox add-in we're working on for MS Outlook? You can read more about it here.

Thanks!

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Ed Dropboxer
    Christopher P.14 New member | Level 2
    Arpine M. New member | Level 1
    Richard P. Super User alumni
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?