cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Cannot open excel online

Why do I need a license to edit Word and Excel files now?

EllKay
Helpful | Level 5

So this just happened today. I can't create new Word or Excel files, nor can I edit existing ones. There is now a paywall that says I need a commercial Office 365 version.

Um what?

Working for an org that has a number of remote colleagues, we rely on being able to share and collaborate on our in-progress work. Having to pay for an essential embedded program on top of a subscription, without any warning, is not cool. 

93 Replies 93

alexcoote
New member | Level 2

My team and I cannot access our excel files using excel online. I am fairly certain our license has not expired but we all get the message: 

Almost there...
To edit business documents you'll need a commercial Office 365 subscription.

MrRogers83
Helpful | Level 6

Our employees are experiencing the same thing. We have a Dropbox Business Enterprise account, and many of our employees rely heavily on the ability to simultaneously work on the same file within Excel Online.

We have had this Dropbox account for quite some time, and this is the second time this issue has occurred. The first time I got a lot of mixed responses, but generally, the blame went to Microsoft when asking Dropbox reps.

I just read through the forum post where a Dropbox rep suggested "If you have a Dropbox Business account, you will need an enterprise Microsoft account with a license that allows editing in Office Online" but didn't technically solve the issue within the forum post, and instead moved to private messages. I'm curious what happened there?

An actual solution was not found last time and we had all but fully switched to using the Dropbox app despite our desire to remain online only when Microsoft Online suddenly started working again without the sign-in prompt. It has worked fine for ages, and then clearly something happened to many customers all at the same time. 

I would love a quick fix for this, but in the meantime, I'll wish us all luck that it just starts working again.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @EllKay, we're sorry to hear about this.

It sounds like you've recently joined a paid Dropbox Business team, which does require a paid subscription to Office 365. On a free or paid personal plan, there's no need for a license, which is why it's worked up until now.

In this instance, you'll need to contact your team admin to purchase the necessary license in order for you to be able to edit docs on your account which you're connected to the Business team.

As a workaround, if you do have a separate personal Dropbox account, you could copy the document there, edit it, and then download and re-upload to the Business account.

I hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

EllKay
Helpful | Level 5

Thank you Jay, but my organization has had a Dropbox for Business subscription for about 6 months now, and that is the account that I'm having the issue with. Two of my colleagues encountered the same paywall.

I don't think this is the solution.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

In that case, it's possible that the Office 365 subscription expired, leading to this message.

Have you managed to get in contact with your admin to look into this matter further?

Let us know what you find out!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

EllKay
Helpful | Level 5
Our admin is on vacation this week, so I can't check in with her.
AFAIK we don't have an Office 365 subscription, but I might be wrong.

Rich
Super User II

It is Microsoft's terms, not Dropbox's, that people on a Dropbox for Business subscription must also have an Enterprise Microsoft account along with a license that includes Office Online.

BrookChou
New member | Level 2

the same issue with me :tired_face:

by the way, google doc. is free and responsible for itself.

jurgen_barbieur
Helpful | Level 5

this is not solved!

i'm member of a partner of dropbox (selling and supporting dropbox)

we encounter the same issue. no upgrades have been made. i still have a valid E5 license and when trying to open a document I got the screen to login to o365, when doing so it loops trying to open the document, but nothing happens. several customers also reported this issue.

Please resolve ASAP

regards

jurgen barbieur

Need more support?