cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: excel online issue

Why do I need a license to edit Word and Excel files now?

EllKay
Helpful | Level 5

So this just happened today. I can't create new Word or Excel files, nor can I edit existing ones. There is now a paywall that says I need a commercial Office 365 version.

Um what?

Working for an org that has a number of remote colleagues, we rely on being able to share and collaborate on our in-progress work. Having to pay for an essential embedded program on top of a subscription, without any warning, is not cool. 

93 Replies 93

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @alexcoote and @MrRogers83,

To have a further look into this I've reached out to both of your email addresses, associated with your Community profiles, through our Support channel. This will allow us to discuss some account specifics as we can't do this here on the Community as it's a public forum.

When you have the chance, please just check your inbox and we can go from there.

Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

kitt0y
Explorer | Level 4

same on mine, it just open a black page

kitt0y
Explorer | Level 4

I have the same problem, it just happen yesterday, i was using it for a year it juts now that it open a blank page or with the 365 subsciption

Shannonqs
New member | Level 2

Same issue for me.  Have used Dropbox in my work for 6+ months without issue.  Yesterday afternoon, could not get in, saying "You don't have an office license." The only thing I can think of that has changed recently (6 weeks or so ago) - is that, through GoDaddy, we've begun to use Outlook for email.  Otherwise, I have nothing Microsoft through work, although I do have my own account. 

Shannonqs
New member | Level 2

Just called GoDaddy who were not helpful.  I can download files from dropbox without making any changes.  I also went to settings (right upper corner click moon-face or picture icon) > Connected Apps > Default editing apps and changed Word and Excel to View in Dropbox.

When I make this change I can view the file in dropbox, but not make edits.  Not sure if there is an additional fix available, or we, as advised above, need a business Office 365 account in order to make changes to word/excel in dropbox.  

EllKay
Helpful | Level 5

This is what I received from DB Support:

"Thanks for reaching out to Dropbox Support. This is Stuart.

Very sorry for the disruption to your professional life this glitch has caused- the engineering team is aware of the issue and working with all haste to see it resolved. I am forwarding your ticket to them so they can keep you apprised of the situation, and provide further support as needed. In the meantime, if at all possible, I'd advise opening your Office files directly through the desktop environment on a device linked through the Dropbox application, rather than the web integration, and hopefully that will get you by while we sort this out.

Thanks for your courteous and professional communication in what I realize is a frustrating and stressful situation! You'll hear back from an advanced support agent as soon as they have more to report. For now, we appreciate your patience and understanding while this gets resolved. "

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @kitt0y, thanks for reaching out about this!

I've sent you a ticket to the email address associated with your Community profile so as to have a better look into this matter. 

When you have the chance, please check your inbox. Thanks!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

forwardmaui
New member | Level 2
Almost there...
To edit business documents you'll need a commercial Office 365 subscription

Celeste
Dropbox Staff

Hi @forwardmaui, thanks for checking in about this!

In order for us to look into this a bit deeper, I have reached out to you via email to the email address associated with your Community profile.

Keep an eye out for my mesage and reply when you can, and we'll take it from there. 

Thanks!

Celeste
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

jaredr
New member | Level 2

Same issue here.  Just started today.

Need more support?